Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-11-2011, 05:06 PM   #41 
purplemuffin

Hehe, that's a very big female. She's almost overweight. :) the rest are babies.

They should be fairly round, but if they are wider than long, they're fat!

A normal shouldn't cost you more than 10-15 dollars(pet stores tend to inflate the prices like crazy. See if you can find a local breeder or reptile convention) and an albino is usually 15-20 max as a baby.
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:08 PM   #42 
purplemuffin

Here are some adults. They get COOL!!

Mine is about 2 years old, so he's not quite there yet. Plus he's a boy, so he'll stay smaller. :)
Old 10-11-2011, 05:11 PM   #43 
diablo13

Lol, those look too funny. I think I know what I want know :D I'd burst out laughing every time Id look at it. I like that third one, what kind is it? And I assume the albino one is that yellow one with the orange markings?
diablo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:16 PM   #44 
purplemuffin

Red ornate adult.

Albinos can vary, some are really light, some are darker! A breeder will have tons so you can pick the ones you like!

Like, here are two different albino babies:

and two different adults:

Pretty sure the last one is a hybrid because of the pattern, but you can see how colors are different.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:18 PM   #45 
diablo13

Ooh, they're beautiful! I like that ones red and black patterns.....
Old 10-11-2011, 05:23 PM   #46 
purplemuffin

Shipping on a reptile is going to be similar to shipping on a betta, so expensive, and breeders only ship overnight generally. But since the frog itself is cheap and will live a while, it's not too bad to buy them online--especially if the place you get them from has other supplies so you can double up and save on shipping. I am saying that just in case you can't find hybrids near you and only normals and normal albinos. :) I see a lot on kingsnake or fauna classifieds. Check for reptile expos and shows too, they have a lot and then you don't have to pay shipping!
Old 10-11-2011, 05:23 PM   #47 
BettaMiah

Ugh... I want one so bad. I want a snake and a cute Pacman.

But the only empty 'cage' I have is a 3 gallon tank! (Currently housing my Betta fish, won't be soon once I upgrade.

Is there any snake that would fancy this?

http://www.cheapaquariums.net/wp-con...1386783679.gif

I really doubt it, but if there is I might just get my dream....
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:27 PM   #48 
diablo13

Cornsnakes need 20 gallons, that's pretty much the smallest tank you can get. At least 10 gallons if you get some odd type of snake that can go in there, though.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:28 PM   #49 
purplemuffin

Not really. Small snakes actually are some of the hardest to keep in captivity. They are far too high stress.

:) Wait for a $1 dollar a gallon sale and pick up a 20 gallon long for 20 bucks, or get one on craigslist. Make sure you get a lid and lid clamps to lock the cage(they are escape artists) A 20 gallon long is perfect for a corn snake!

Snakes generally need heat too, and reptile heat pads don't have thermostats on them, so you'd had to buy one yourself. Setting up a snake is expensive, but afterwards it pays off as it's cheap in the long run. A snake can live for 30 years! I know a 28 year old ball python. :)

Don't worry, be patient. Save up birthday money and christmas money. Spend this time doing research on the snake you want. It takes a long time of research to be ready for a new animal. Look up care sheets, figure out what color pattern you want, and find breeders near you. :)

The cheapest way to do a snake setup is with a large tub, but most people don't like that, because it's hard to see them! They are so fun to watch, too. But if you don't care and just want them comfortable(they don't mind as long as it's big enough!) it works! Our ball python is in a tub as he is a wild caught male and a very highly stressed boy. He likes to hide away in the tub where no one can see him.

Edit: let me look up kenyan sand boas, I forgot they are small but easy captives, I'll get back to you. Pretty sure 10 gallons is minimum though, but that's just 10 bucks.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:31 PM   #50 
BettaMiah

I can't buy a 20 gallon.... I am pretty much stuck with what I have. I can get a large clear plastic tub, but I so doubt my parents would even take a moment to consider me getting a snake.
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote