Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-11-2011, 05:32 PM   #51 
diablo13

Jeez, all of the awesome pets are super expensive! Except Pacman Frogs, they're awesome. I'm considering starting a saltwater tank, assuming everything goes well I can have the actual tank in about 3 months, but I can't fill it for years because I need 600 freaking dollars.
diablo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:34 PM   #52 
purplemuffin

Yeah, kenyan sand boas are adorable and males can live in a ten gallon tank. Snakes can be sexed the moment they are born, so ask the breeder for a boy. Although they are 'sand' boas, I don't like to use sand with reptiles, so I suggest using aspen as the substrate. They do not like humidity at all in their main enclosure, but giving them a humid hide(hide with wet paper towels etc.) helps them when they need to shed!

Get a heating pad to put on one side of the tank, and maybe a heat lamp. Make sure the heat pad is attached to a dimmer or thermostat to keep the temps stable. Have a GOOD digital thermometer (18 dollars at lowes) and make sure the temps do not get too high! You don't want a cooked snake! 90 on the hot side, 80 on the cool.

They need a water bowl to drink, but put it on the cool side, not the warm side. If water is on the warm side it would evaporate and get them too humid and sick! Cool side wouldn't evaporate as fast. Feed them every 5-7 days an appropriate sized rodent(same width as widest part of snake, or just barely bigger)

Did I mention, they are CUTE?

You can convince parents with calm education and care. For instance a kenyan sand boa will barely reach 2-3 foot, max. That's not that big(certainly not big enough to eat you or a cat! )

Usually the set up is the most expensive with reptiles, and after that the care is cheap. We buy our rodents in bulk, so a rat comes out to be 80 cents. That's how much we spend on them on food every week. We use paper towels as substrate and then it's just water and electricity that costs money. :) But boy was getting them set up pricy! But it lasts forever.

Last edited by purplemuffin; 10-11-2011 at 05:37 PM.
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:37 PM   #53 
diablo13

Daw, What a cutie.
diablo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:48 PM   #54 
BettaMiah

;) My parents just don't want another pet. My mom said I am never getting a snake while living here...

I was looking at pets for a 3 gallon. I was thinking 1 or 2 hermit crabs. And I would make them a little fun tub for playtime (It would be a pretty large tub, and then I would just keep them in it as home. The 3 gallons was just so I could GET them....)

But I know nothing about them. So problably not. I think 3 gallons is enough, but the thing is pretty much taller than it it wider and I don't know how they would do with it.
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:51 PM   #55 
purplemuffin

Hermit crabs get really big, so they would eventually need a bigger space. It's good that you are thinking of getting more than one, they are very social. They need heat and humidity though, so they can be tricky.

http://www.hermit-crabs.com/

this website has a lot of good information on them.

I had to wait a few years for my snake. :) But til then, there is time to research, research research..

I wouldn't get hermit crabs for a tall tank, they like to walk around.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:53 PM   #56 
BettaMiah

Then no on that one.

I am out of ideas. I don't know of anything that would like the 3 gallon other than a fish. I was thinking a newt but again, I don't know how to care for them.

Got any suggestions? I just want to look at all the possibilities here.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:56 PM   #57 
purplemuffin

Well... Not really. I think you just need to wait. :) Save up. Give it time. Newts need more space. Think of 10 gallon as a bare minimum.

LOL you could use it to house a baby carnivorous plant and have a little terrarium! I don't know!
Old 10-11-2011, 05:58 PM   #58 
BettaMiah

Okay. Thats fine. I just can't get one then. I can't get more tanks.

O.e No thanks. I would never want to have to feed a freaking plant furries. Even snails and stuff I wouldn't like. Its just a plant... *grumbles*

Lol.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:01 PM   #59 
purplemuffin

LOL I would just feed one crickets, I've never heard of one eating furries.

Wait for a bit, things might change. If you don't have room for pets, you don't have room, but just give it time. Rearranging a room, saving up money yourself, etc. Not everything has to happen now.

I'm still waiting on getting a brazilian rainbow boa, and I made the decision to get one 3 years ago :)
Old 10-11-2011, 09:01 PM   #60 
BettaMiah

>.< In 5 year's i'll get one. When I am out of the house.