betta fish

Old 10-08-2011, 05:48 PM   #1 
contracteryin

Question Possibly sick?

Housing
What size is your tank?: 2 gallons, its a bowl
What temperature is your tank?: usually about 80 degrees or so
Does your tank have a filter?: No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?: No? But it has an open top
Is your tank heated?: Yup
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?: None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?: Hikari Betta fish pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish?: Once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?: Two-Three times a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?: 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?: None, I have well water so there's no chlorine

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?: Haven't tested, but my sisters fish have had no issues, nor did my fish in the past.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?: They look like they have clamped fins and its seemingly got duller
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?: They spazz out like no tomorrow at noise or me walking up to the cage
When did you start noticing the symptoms?: The other day
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?: I put the aquarium salt stuff in, i dont want to do anything else if i dont know what is wrong
Does your fish have any history of being ill?: No.
How old is your fish (approximately)?: No clue. I've had them two weeks

I'm a complete n00b with fish... all the others have been my parents or sisters. I only have reptile/mammel experience.

Last edited by contracteryin; 10-08-2011 at 05:58 PM.
contracteryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 05:56 PM   #2 
Miyazawa

you probably shouldn't feed him goldfish pellets since they are for goldfish. Did you just get the fish? Btw don't use the AQ salt for more than 10 days because bacteria build up resistance to the salt and it won't be useful when you actually need it.
Miyazawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 05:58 PM   #3 
contracteryin

I don't feed it goldfish food |:
The "gold fish" was a typo
Old 10-08-2011, 06:39 PM   #4 
MyFishIsMilo

Sick Betta

Try to feed it about twice a day.
MyFishIsMilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:44 PM   #5 
Myates

Welcome to the forum, sorry about your guy.
Sounds like an issue with his water to be honest.
I would also not use AQ salt until we know what is going on for sure.. AQ salt is for issues such as Ich, fin rot and other external problems. Prolonged use and unnecessary use has potential to harm them as well as make the bacteria and the fish immune to the beneficial properties.
For now I would do 100% water change with water conditioner, and more plants if you have a sparse tank to see if that helps.

You may still need water conditioner with well water since they are all a little different. There is more then just chlorine that the conditioners take out. Two gallons should be doing 1 50% and 1 100% water change per week.. doing too many water changes could diminish the properties of the good bacteria, and your betta won't be able to build up immunity to the bad which makes them more prone to getting sick easier.
For feeding you should feed 4-6 pellets a day, spread between 2-3 feedings.. smaller multiple feedings are the best to prevent from overfeeding in the one meal and causing bloat/SBD, or not feeding enough which causes starvation and lower immunity as well.
Are there plenty of plants and a cave to hide in? They thrive and tend to do better in medium to heavily planted tanks.. they will feel safer and they may not startle as much once they feel safe and calm down.

Other then that, I don't know what else could be done without seeing the fish and seeing if we could see any other signs of illness. =( Hopefully someone will come on with more/better suggestions. Wish you luck and the best.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:24 PM   #6 
contracteryin

I was doing some more research aaaaaand they have velvet. I have a feeling they had it when I got them too |: Tis unfortunate.
I feed once a day because the rest of the day I'm generally busy, and I feed them 3-4 pellets that meal, which I believe was suggest for one-meal-time on this site, to another betta site.

As far as plants, theres two... I'll try to get more later... but ohmygod reptiles are so much easier then fish, I swear.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:28 PM   #7 
Miyazawa

If they have velvet you definitely anti parasitic for that since they are pretty deadly and super contagious.
Miyazawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:30 PM   #8 
contracteryin

I know. I'm going to get some tomorrow or Monday. Right now it's too late to go out, and Sunday I believe most of the stores are closed... I really hope I can save my little guy... but at least my water conditioner *my friend has* has anti-bacterial stuff in it