Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-09-2011, 01:33 AM   #11 
bettafish15

Seahorses are the HARDEST CREATURE TO CARE FOR EVER. I don't think you're financially or mentally ready for any kind of saltwater venture, its crazy expensive and if you don't do your research, you're just killing innocent fish, you know?

I think a betta in a 3g would be great. There isnt really anything else that can be housed in something so tiny.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 03:59 PM   #12 
BettaMiah

I know, I am willing to put a ton of work in it. But they would die in anything over 10 gallons problably.

Gahhh... How much money is it, though? Would I need a new filter? How much is salt?
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:06 PM   #13 
bettafish15

Well, I hear that just a protein skimmer is 100 bucks. Also, I did some research as well, and it is recommended to have a 10g tank with dwarf seahorses as they are apparantly prolific breeders. Your 3g will not be enough.

Edit: This website mentions alot of good points, such as the tank MUST BE CYCLED for them (which can only happen in larger tanks most of the time anyways). It mentions nothing about them dying in a 10g or bigger.
http://www.seahorse.org/library/arti...arfguide.shtml

Last edited by bettafish15; 10-09-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:10 PM   #14 
Micho

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaMiah View Post
I know, I am willing to put a ton of work in it. But they would die in anything over 10 gallons problably.

Gahhh... How much money is it, though? Would I need a new filter? How much is salt?
Really I've been doing some research myself: http://www.seahorse.org/library/arti...arfguide.shtml

As I said, saltwater aquariums are much more costly than freshwater. Much more costly than an average thirteen year old can provide. They will give birth, seeing how you can six, even I can't tell the difference between male and female seahorses. Apparently they will reproduce very fast and your tank will be overpopulated with fry.

Which means if you want to keep the fry you'll have to provide more tanks in the months to come if the fry survives and mature into adults, you don't want to overstock with seahorses as they are VERY sensitive to water chemistry, which leads to cycling your tank and maintaining water chemistry with water changes.

I'm going to say it again, and not trying to offend you but I don't think you're ready for dwarf seahorses. They're one of the hardest aquatic creatures to care for, and probably cost quite a lot of money too.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:11 PM   #15 
BettaMiah

I think I am going to continue looking in to it. They need at most 10 gallons, 2-5 is better. So I will get 3 pairs to start, and they will problably breed, and I can have at max 12. Maybe i'll start with 2? They can make their own herd! These guys are 10$ each.

Yeah I saw that. It says 10 might be better, but it also said 2-5 is recommended.

Maybe next year. I don't think I can just jump into seahorses.

What else can you guys recommend (other than a betta, or maybe a different type of betta?)

Last edited by BettaMiah; 10-09-2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:13 PM   #16 
bettafish15

I really don't think you're ready, maybe wait a year or so, when you can do real research (not just believing pet stores) and save up lots of money. I mean no offense. :)
Old 10-09-2011, 04:16 PM   #17 
BettaMiah

Oh no I COMPLETELY agree with you. I wasn't going to go off and get them right now anyways! Maybe next year. I only got into aquarium keeping less than a year ago! And boom I have 15 wet pets!
Old 10-09-2011, 04:25 PM   #18 
LittleBettaFish

In a three gallon you could put in a single Dario Dario, a colony of shrimp, a pair or trio of Sparkling Gouramis, or possibly a single male apistogramma.

Not much will fit in a 3 gallon, but there are a couple more options. If you really planted up the tank with a good, nutrient-rich substrate and chucked in plenty of floaters and stems, the plants should act sort of like a living filter (they have to be healthy and visibly growing for this to happen), which should make use of most of the waste produced by your stock.

Bettas are fairly tolerant of large and frequent water changes, which is something you'd want to avoid with more fragile species. However, as 3 gallons are not very good at holding a stable cycle, the plants should help in reducing ammonia and nitrate levels.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:27 PM   #19 
BettaMiah

I have no idea what any of those species are.... Can you inform me a little bit about them? I am very, very interested in getting a new species of fish!

But I already have shrimp, so no thanks on that one!

Oh, and preferrably fish can find at Petsmart/petco.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:07 PM   #20 
fishy friend2

If you really want some saltwater Creatures then what about some brine shrimp
fishy friend2 is offline   Reply With Quote