Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-09-2011, 04:07 PM   #21 
diablo13

Ok, I know this is a bit late, but I'm about to venture into saltwater, and to your cost question, I was looking to upgrade my 10 gallon, which already had everything( as long as you have live rocks, you don't need a filter, you need powerhead, but seeing as DS hate current, I would use a protein skimmer. New tank and everything, your looking at 450-500$, counting 2 Seahorses. But I honestly wouldn't do it unless you already have had a saltwater. You can research all you want, but in my experience only the real thing can prepare you. And a decent sized bucket of salt is 30$.
diablo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:08 PM   #22 
LittleBettaFish

Unfortunately, you aren't going to find fish suitable for a nano tank at your local Petsmart and Petco. You are probably going to need to go to a reputable LFS.

http://www.seriouslyfish.com is an excellent site for researching species. It covers everything from pH to tank size to breeding in its profiles. I recommend starting your search there.

I also remembered you could keep a trio of smaller killifish (Clown Killifish are only about an inch or so long when fully-grown) in a 3 gallon tank. Although some annual killifish do only live for a year or so. Mine is not a very active fish and mostly sits at the top of the tank waiting for insects to drop in.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:12 PM   #23 
diablo13

I've been wondering....are Killifish Freshwater? I know that's a pretty stupid question. I'm considering ALLOT of things for my 10 gallon after it's done, including Poison Dart Frogs. What are good species for a 10 gallon? Sorry for hijacking.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:25 PM   #24 
LittleBettaFish

Yes all the killfish I've seen here are freshwater, but I know we're are fairly limited in terms of what can be imported in here.

This person keeps Gardneri in his ten gallon and I believe they are good beginner fish and very hardy. Although I have seen it mentioned two males will fight if housed together. It's also recommended to keep more females than males as they can be harassed quite a bit.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:28 PM   #25 
BettaMiah

Hm...

Which set up would you suggest? (I've dropped saltwater. No way in hell I have that much cash!)

This might sound greedy or something, but what is the prettiest fish I can have in there, and which is the one that I can have the most?

What about Endlers...

Last edited by BettaMiah; 10-09-2011 at 04:33 PM.
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:36 PM   #26 
fishy friend2

You posted as I was typing I had a long list about the care of dwarf seahorses... Never mind
fishy friend2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:37 PM   #27 
diablo13

Endlers? Only the males are pretty, and they're too active to have more than 3, so 1 male and 2 females.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:38 PM   #28 
BettaMiah

Hm....

Any other suggestions?
Old 10-09-2011, 07:16 PM   #29 
BettaMiah

Old 10-09-2011, 08:55 PM   #30 
BettaMiah