Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-08-2011, 11:14 PM   #1 
Alethia

male in a sorority?

Ever had a male in a sorority?one of my boys recently jumped over to his tanks mates side and ripped up his fins while I was at work. shockingly Miz wasn't killed but he looked terrible. I took him out of the tank and put him in a small critter keeper and decided to float him in the girls tanks thinking it might give him more spunk to stay alive. Seemed to work. he flared at the girls as they came over to look at him and the edges of his ragged fins were looking better by the next morning.

So, I went to work and when I came back I didn't see Miz in his container. I thought ' great...he escaped and the girls probably killed him -_-' To my surprise he was freely swimming around the tank, unharassed as far as I could tell. he wasn't chasing anyone, he seemed to be dancing for the ladies more than anything.

I don't know if it's because his fins were so short from being nipped off or what but the girls didn't seem to have a problem with him being in the tank. Maybe they think he's a girl? I let him stay in the tank for the day but will contain him again before I go to sleep.
Alethia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 11:19 PM   #2 
Lighterman

Female betta's should not be scared to a male betta. It only happens when a male betta chases her. So it this case, it looks pretty good, just give alot of hiding places for the females.
Lighterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 11:33 PM   #3 
trilobite

I have one in mine. Hes a gentle guy who is useless at intimidation. the girl, being used to living with others don't mind him. There wasn't even the whole dancing around flaring "I'm stronger" display that I usually get when introducing females. The tank has heaps of hiding places so its easy for them to get out of each others way.
I would never place my other males in with females though, they are nasty and will tear the girls to shreds.
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 11:53 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

It's really not a good idea to house males and females together except for spawning purposes only. Things may seem calm for awhile but things can change in a hurry and you end up with dead or severely injured fish.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:47 AM   #5 
Pitluvs

Yes, for the sake of the fish and a potential death to one of them please remove your males and properly take care of your Bettas. Please.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote