Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-08-2011, 11:58 PM   #1 
Nubster

75g planted community...male betta?

This is copied and pasted from another general thread I started...

"After getting through some issues with the start up of my 75g tank...I am on track. I am getting it planted, got a good MTSnail population going, have some RCShrimp in the tank that are cool as heck, and for fish I have a school of 10 Glowlight Tetra. I really like these guys...I tried adding a school of 10 Bloodfins but they just didn't work for me so I took them back to the store. I still want a smallish school of cory cats of some sort but I am also throwing around the idea of a possible showcase fish. Preferably something a bit sedate, maybe a single fish or something that does well in pairs or small groups, shrimp and tetra safe, splash of color...am I asking for too much? Any ideas? Not sure I will do this...I might just add 5-6 more tetras and call it good and focus on the plants. No hurry so plenty of time to think this through."

I am reposting here because I was wondering about a specific fish...just wondering if a male betta would work in a setup like this?
Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:21 AM   #2 
Gloria

I dont have a tank as big as yours and not as many fish.. But I have a community tank with a Molly, Snails, 3 Neon Tetras and a Male Siamese Fighter, I also has a Cuckoo Catfish and the Betta and him got along great until he passed. Anyways, I have all of them in together and I have NO problems at all they'e a little family..
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:03 AM   #3 
Myates

I want to say yes, that sounds like a great set up for them.. plenty of room, docile fishmates, etc. Only reason I won't say yes 100% because it comes down to the personality of the male you put in there. Some are very laid back and calm and will ignore the others, some may be temperamental and don't want fast swimming fish near him. But for the most part, I don't see a problem with them getting along. There is plenty of room, sounds like a lot of coverage and his top space would be empty for the most part.. corys on the bottom, tetra around the mid section.. sounds like a good set up to me =)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:44 AM   #4 
Nubster

Sounds GREAT!!! I am not usually into fancy long fin type fish but there is something about certain bettas that is very striking. I kinda figured that part of the issue would be personality of the fish. I just wish you could keep them in small groups.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:52 AM   #5 
Myates

You can the females.. they don't look that pretty in the cups, but they color up just like the males, just don't have the longer fins. They do have their own personalities and they love human interaction, so much fun lol.
If you do think about females, there is a sticky here about keeping sororities. I believe your tank would be perfect for them. 5+ females though need to be in the tank if you decide to go that route. Too bad having a male with females won't work out, but I would seriously look into having a sorority if you are interested in the breed. The girls are just as personable as the males, very quirky and fun. Just do the research first to make sure you're up to it! And pics of your tank would be nice to see :D Love looking at other's tanks lol
Old 10-09-2011, 09:59 AM   #6 
Nubster

Yeah...a group of females would be cool. I don't think I would like a single female for the reason you mentioned...they aren't as attractive as the males...but a group may very make up for the lack of flashiness. Here is a shot of my tank from a while ago...I need to up date it as I have added a lot more plants but it will give you an idea until I can grab a new shot of it this evening....

Old 10-09-2011, 10:47 AM   #7 
Myates

Pretty! And I bet even moreso with added plants =)
Even one female can be very colorful.. they have the same coloring as males, just can go brown/dull easier when stressed.. just not the long tails. So as for coloring.. you'll be surprised =)
You will want to have a good amount of tall plants if you go the female route.

Monsterfishkeepers.com eh? Seen lots of tanks/videos from MFK...

My newest girl, the day she moved in, and then the next day to show they color up a lot once in their new home.. and she's even more colorful now.
Attached Images

Old 10-09-2011, 08:17 PM   #8 
Nubster

Here is a shot from today. Don't mind the dirty glass and hair algae...I'm working on that issue...

Old 10-14-2011, 01:10 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

I like the black sand. Very nice.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:05 PM   #10 
Nubster

Thanks. Really makes the fishes colors pop.

I think I am hooked...came SOOOOO close to picking up a beautiful King Betta today from Petco. He was quite awesome. I may end up going back and getting him tomorrow. Only thing that kept me from doing it is I wanted to have another tank up and running and planted first. I have one running and cycled...it's just completely bare at the moment.