Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-09-2011, 07:55 PM   #1 
freeflow246

Best way to remove betta from tank?

Every time I take Jalen out of his tank for 100% water changes, I feel like I'm stressing him a lot. I usually have to try several times before I can catch him in the net. Advice?
freeflow246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:11 PM   #2 
ksage505

Do you still have the cup you bought your betta in? I just use the cup to scoop them up when they're at the top of the water. Mine freak out over the net but the cups don't bother them at all. They're already in before they know whats going on.
ksage505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:37 PM   #3 
BettaMiah

Get a cup and then net him and put him in the cup. Simple as that. No stress caused.

Oh my gosh, you just made me think of what it would be like If I had to remove my Goldfish from his tank, he is very large and very strong! He would knock me into a wall...

Oh wait I didn't read it well.

Don't worry. You have to do that to get him. He'll be fine.
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:49 PM   #4 
Micho

I would suggest putting the net into the tank, wait till he swims in it or gets close to it, net him quickly and swiftly and put him into his water change cup. Simple as that, you don't want to chase him with the net or that'll really freak him out.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:05 PM   #5 
Banicks

When I am undertaking a 100% for the 1g hospital tank, there is a mug in the water as a cave. Usually the lil dude is used to it, and I just wait until he is near the surface and slowly push the mug into the water to cause a current into the mug. Usually he is taken in with the current, minimal stress or contact with him.

As previously mentioned, some will scoop the betta up, but my dude doesn't stay still when the cup gets near him. So that's not an option, and the net, well both my Betta's hate it now so that rarely works.
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:48 AM   #6 
Phether

I catch him in the tank with a big net, then scoop him out with a spoon like this

http://image.shutterstock.com/displa...on-4697677.jpg

and then I put him into a cup. I find the spoon is a bit better cause the betta's in water the entire time.
Phether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:49 AM   #7 
Myates

I use the cups they come in.. I put it near the top and when they come to investigate it, I dip it in. The suction from the water entering the cup is usually enough to get them. Sometimes it may take me two times, but normally it works great. One of my guys seemed to of always gotten a torn fin when I used a net to grab him, so had to make a change.
When it's time for them to return to their tank, I will tip the cup into the net gently and then put them in the tank.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:14 AM   #8 
Leeniex

I do what Myates does....no net needed. Easy in, easy out. ;0)
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:19 PM   #9 
cajunamy
Banned

Cups - wait till they're at the surface for air, or feed them, then put the cup next to the fish and quickly suck them into the cup from the vaccum that the cup makes going under water.

The more you chase them, the more stressed they will get. You want to catch them as quickly as possible
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:06 PM   #10 
freeflow246

I used a cup a few times and it worked great, but now he's learned to avoid it. ._.
freeflow246 is offline   Reply With Quote