Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-09-2011, 08:05 PM   #1 
Sea Turtles

Sand and Filter fuestion

So I'm still slowly working on putting together my first tank (10 gal). I added sand and water 2 days ago, and I guess I didn't rinse it as well as I'd thought, because the water is all cloudy. I started the filter and left for a day and a half (there isn't a fish in there yet, in case you were worried). It settled down and looked crystal clear, but I noticed the filter had left a little crater in the sand all the way down to the glass where the water fell back in the tank (guess I'll have to baffle it somehow)

Anyway, I went to smooth the crater back out, and just sorta play with the sand in general (I miss the beach) and of course, the water clouded right back up, and now my filter, a tetra whisper, is humming quietly, where it was silent before.

Any suggestions on A) declouding my water, and B) quieting my filter?
Sea Turtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:33 PM   #2 
Sea Turtles

*embarrassed sigh* I meant "question" not "fuestion"
Old 10-09-2011, 08:53 PM   #3 
Micho

You could try those clarity products they have at your LPS, simple as that.

As for your filter, I had the Tetra Whisper 10i, and it made virtually some sound, but not a lot, so it's not completely silent. But there might be some sand in the filter, so take it out and rinse with hot tap water, and some sand should come out if there is some sand stuck in the filter.

Just a word of caution if you're cycling your tank right now use your tank water to rinse your filter, because rinsing with tap water will kill your cycle, it's where your beneficial bacteria live, so rinsing your filter with tap water = bye bye bacteria.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:44 PM   #4 
TL1000RSquid

Always turn your filter off if your going to be stirring the sand up. I'm not familar with your model filter, is your water topped off? My aquaclear will do the same thing in my 10 if the water isn't topped off. You probably sucked some sand inside the motor if possible with that model rinse the motor/impeller area out.

What kind of sand did you buy and did you rinse it before putting it in the tank? I've used API clarity stuff in the past with success. I'd let it settle on its own though.
TL1000RSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:10 AM   #5 
quyllur

I would shut your filter off, stir up the sand as much as you want and then empty all the water, then add maybe just a few gallons of water and stir it up again. I would do this until you get fairly clear water and then let it settle for a day or so and then turn your filter back on and let it take out any lingering cloudiness. I have pool filter sand in mine and I rinsed it, what I thought was enough, filled up the tank and it was really cloudy. I did a few water changes and now I can stir up the sand all I want and I get virtually no kick up.
quyllur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:06 AM   #6 
Sea Turtles

I can't remember what type of sand it is exactly, I didn't keep the bag, but I did get it from a tropical fish store, and the bag said it was good for any type of tank (no added stuff in it). I will definitely remember to turn the filter off next time. I left it off over night, and when I turned it back on it was nice and quiet again.

I don't know what you mean by topping off the water. the filter's bottom/intake is about four inches off the sand, and the water comes up to just an inch under where the water pours back out, if that helps.

Lol, this is part of why I decided to make sure the tank was 100% ready /before/ bringing home a fish. I'd be driving the poor thing insane.

Is it ok to ask a semi-related question in this thread? I'd feel bad about starting another thread so soon after the first...
Its about decorations-

I have some polished colored stones, like hematite and rose quartz and some other pretty ones I can't identify. Are they safe as decorations in the tank? they're all glass-smooth, I'm just worried about messing with the water like I read seashells would.

Also, I have some little terracotta pots left over from a past garden. They don't have holes in the bottom at all, but they were labeled with sharpie. Would that make them unsafe to put in the tank?

Sorry for jumping around. I really appreciate ya'lls help :)
Old 10-10-2011, 11:08 AM   #7 
TL1000RSquid

Like I said not familar with the tetra filters I have aquaclear but if I fill my tank all the way up to the black trim my filters output meets the water and it creates alot less current versus it pouring into the water where the current reaches the bottom and will move the sand.

I think quartz is safe I have a rock that has some quartz in it hasn't seemed to effect my water chemistry. Some info here on rocks Rocks For Aquariums
I'd let the pots soak in some water for 24 hours then scrub and put them in the tank.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:09 AM   #8 
TonyK

I was going to run that filter in a tank with sand. If I remember the directions say not to use that filter with sand. The noise you hear is sand in the impellar blade. You will want to pull the filter out and clean it out really good.

I like sand but whenever you stir it up sand goes everywhere. Its gets better over time but, I think its a little more work than a gravekl tank.
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:15 AM   #9 
TL1000RSquid

A prefilter wouldn't be a bad idea to help keep to much sand from being taken in along with any other larger objects like plant matter, or fry.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-A1387-Fluval-Pre-Filter-Sponge/dp/B002LL32RY]Amazon.com: Fluval EDGE Pre-Filter Sponge: Pet Supplies[/ame] I use these Fluval sponges on most of my filters, they're $2.50 @ petsmart, you just have to take them off and squeeze and rinse them once a week.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:10 PM   #10 
Sea Turtles

Now that I'm making sure to turn off the filter when i go to move anything, there hasn't been a problem. I'll look into the prefilter though, sounds like it'd save some hassle :) Thanks guys