Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-09-2011, 09:42 PM   #1 
erinandares

Cycling a (to be divided) 10gal

So I'm buying a 10 gallon tank tomorrow. I just have a few questions since I'm pretty new to bettas. :3

I currently only have my one veil tail, Ares. Originally, I was going to cycle the tank because I was going to stock the tank with some shrimp and a few rasboras. But then, I started lusting after a pk, and I made the decision to divide the tank three ways and cycle it anyway to make maintenance a little easier. I was planning on using a method I *think* I read about on here, using a piece of frozen shrimp to supply the ammonia as it breaks down, etc etc. And of course, I am definitely not buying any new bettas or putting Ares in the tank until the cycle is done. Lol.

But what should I have in the tank, if anything, when I cycle it? Since it's going to be divided, can I go ahead and put in the dividers before I cycle? Any opinions are more than welcome.
erinandares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:54 PM   #2 
Micho

You'll need a filter and a heater for the ten gallon, both running at all times. Filter because that's where your beneficial bacteria will build up, heater because at lower temperatures bb cannot live.

Dividing tank should be okay, if you're getting decor for the tank put it in, bb lives on the surfaces of you'd decor, also the substrate place that in too. If it turns the water cloudy don't worry cause you have no fish in there! The filter will make your water crystal clear again. If you're planning to put live plants in, do it now it'll let the plants QT also you'll experience a silent cycle.

That's pretty much it. .
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:10 PM   #3 
erinandares

Yeah, the filter and heater are also on my list to buy tomorrow. As well as water testing kits, etc. I'm not planning on live plants, though. Not feeling up to that challenge, quite yet. :p So I will set it up all the way before cycling. Thank you, Micho. ~
erinandares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:03 PM   #4 
Micho

No problem be sure to update us and show us some pictures when you're done!
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycling, divided ten gallon