Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-10-2011, 12:36 AM   #1 
Sakura8

Fish in a Cloudy Tank Question

Question: Can you put fish in a cloudy tank? I just did a 20gL and unfortunately, I stirred the substrate a bit and it's a bit cloudy, kind of like a foggy San Francisco night. I added some Seachem Clarity, which should work by morning, but I'm wondering if it would be okay to add the fish in now while it is still cloudy. The fish are neon tetras, corydoras catfish, otocinclus, and a betta. All the fish sans betta are in a bare 10g in the garage with a heater and an internal filter, nothing else. The poor betta is in a cup on the bookshelf but I can put him in the 10g with the other fish if necessary.

Second question: will most echinodorus plants grow in just gravel (no special substrate at all)? I'm looking at the echinodorous parviflorus in particular, the Black Amazon Sword, because it stays smaller than the Amazon Sword.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:15 AM   #2 
Wyvern

You can add the fish to the tank, but do yourself a favour and get a small bottle of Stability as well. The clarity just helps with bigger particles and your tank is going thru the cycle and with stability in there it keeps it safe for fish. Just keep the light off on the tank for at least a day or two whilst adding the stability. I just recently setup my 30L nano tank for my boy and even tho I used mature filter medium there was a bacterial bloom causing the water to look milky. With the stability in, it cleared up in 2 days and kept the water safe for my boy. Remember you want the bacterial bloom since it is the good bacteria that the tank needs. I would add a couple of fish every 2 hours or so just so that you dont shock the tank system to much all at once.
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:37 AM   #3 
Wyvern

I forgot the second question - that will be a nice and lovely plant. Maybe either use liquid ferts to keep it happy or get the Seachem Root Tabs (I recomend these above the Sera kind simply since it lasts about 3 - 4months where the sera one needs to be replaced every two weeks - so more expensive).
Old 10-10-2011, 10:20 AM   #4 
Sakura8

Thanks for replying, Wyvern. So part of it is a bacterial bloom? The cloudiness didn't happen until I stirred up the substrate. And so far Clarity hasn't worked like advertised because I've added a triple dose and it's still cloudy. I did put an established filter in but I got a bacterial bloom anyway? Awww nuts. I never realized setting up tanks was so complicated! With bettas, I usually just buy a small tank and pop 'em in.

Thanks for the tips about the fertilizer tabs. I'll pick some up. It's a divided tank so an NPT didn't work but I'd still like to give the boys in there some live plants. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:09 AM   #5 
Wyvern

The root tabs are a great way of feeding your plants - I love them. My flourite substrate took about 1 day to finally settle, but then again I took about an hour before hand and rinced it very very very well. When ever you are starting up a tank even with mature filter you will get the bacterial bloom. I still prefer stability over clarity since your tank will sort the cloudyness out by itself. Otherwise get some Purigen (you get a small bag that youcan place in your filter) and it will give you crystal clear water.