Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-10-2011, 10:59 AM   #1 
Sena Hansler

Wink How do you keep your males from tail biting?

Okay, so no firstly he does NOT tail bite. But he does have a longer tail than all my other males. His pectoral fins also (cannot see here, as they are clear after the red of his fins) are also triple the length of any other male I have o_O ALSO, he is a drama queen ;) He hated it when everyone got moved around... Especially when he had to be moved! He wouldn't look at me, and when he did he'd flare. xD

So anyways...

How do you guys get your males to NOT tail bite? :) Just curious! I've heard someone uses bottle cap lids...
Attached Images

Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:25 AM   #2 
fleetfish

I just pretty much let them get used to one another.

I tried this with Peaseblossom, who was my tailbiter extraordinaire ... and it didn't work for him. He kept biting his tail. At first I kept him isolated, then placed another tank and betta beside him. At first, Boaz, the other betta, wasn't a biter. But I think keeping Peasey and Boaz from seeing one another made the biting worse because Peasey knew that Boaz was there and it caused him stress. Meanwhile, Boaz started biting his tail. And it kept getting worse. I couldn't card their tanks, because they would stress out and bite their tails. And if I didn't card them they would continuously flare.

What I'm doing now is placing tanks together in twos so that they get used to another betta. So far it's working! They also have numerous plants to hide in and I've caught them resting on the leaves. And as long as they have some sort of hide to run away to, it seems okay.

It's really difficult to cure tailbiting because a number of things can trigger it: stress, types of food, no stimulation .... Try a bunch of things. It could be just as simple as the lighting in the room. It's tough to figure it out. But once you get it and correct whatever is bothering them, they might stop. Tailbiting can also be genetic, and in that case there isn't much you can do.

Hope this helps some :)
Also, how does a bottle cap work?

And WOW what a beautiful boy you have! He's so colourful!
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:22 PM   #3 
Indyfishy

Fleetfish pretty much covered anything!! I had crowntail that was a tail biter, I'm pretty sure his was because of genetics. He had already started at the pet store (didn't guess it was tail biting because only two rays were missing). When he got to my home he stopped for a couple weeks, and then i woke up one morning to find all his beautiful red rays chopped short =( Moving his decor around a little everytime I did a water change seemed to help him a bit. Nothing I did could completely stop it though =P
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:05 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Hmmm interesting lol. Well apparently people float bottle caps, which'll stimulate or something? My males don't care for non-breathing objects LOL.

And thanks!! He's a colorful guy hence his name Crayola Colors :p

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 10-10-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:01 PM   #5 
MMAsac
Banned

I like ping pong balls, seems when my fishies get bored they go up and just nudge the balls around the tank, its kind of fun to watch as well
MMAsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:41 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

Never thought of that :p I think one of my old bettas (the 7 year old wonder) liked chasing a laser pointer light...
Old 10-10-2011, 04:09 PM   #7 
Silverfang

If you can cure boys of tailbiting... you should run for god. I can't get him to behave, for anything
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:59 PM   #8 
Bambi

I've never had a tail biter. I've heard it's pretty common though(Everyone seems to have at least one )

When it's because their fins are too long there isn't much you can do. Buffer their filter for less drag on their fins might help, or a shallower(but longer) tank. So their not weighed down by their fins to have to bite them.

Like has been said though,, there are many triggers. Just make sure your betta is healthy and has plenty to occupy him. If you can figure out their trigger sometimes you can fix the issue so they bite less. Like humans bite their nails when they get to long, when their stressed or bored it's a habbit they's hard to break.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:13 AM   #9 
Sena Hansler

True. Well, since my friend's rescued betta definitely has permanent SBD, and has bitten his tail (alot) I just need to find how to entertain him :) my friend told me I could have him, and I'll give her one of my males... So guys now I have a tail biter!