Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-08-2011, 11:59 PM   #1 
BettaMiah

Stocking against my parent's will....

Hello! So, as i am sure I have babbled about enough, I am getting 2.5 gallon upgrades for my betta's. Which means I will have a spare 3 gallon. What can I do with it? I was thinking to try saltwater can get 6 Dwarf Seahorses!

I might get another Betta, but I don't think it would be fair! I mean, my current boys get 2.5 gallons, and a new one gets 3? No.....

So, what are some suggestions? I don't want shrimp or snails or anything like that.
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:11 AM   #2 
Pitluvs

Do your research on seahorses, I hear they are the hardest thing to keep in salt aquariums. I don't know much about salt, but I see salt experts warn people against having them. Just as I personally wouldn't put any tropical fish in a 3g other than betta, I wouldn't put anything salt water in them either. 20g is usually the starting point.

Also, I have bettas in all sorts of tanks! Right now Nixon, Ben and Hughie has 1.5g. Twitch and Freddy have 2.5g and Spidey has 2.65g. I really don't think one Betta is going to be jealous over another Betta with 0.5g more room. Thats... kinda silly lol
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:16 AM   #3 
BettaMiah

I know... I just like to keep my babies equal...

Dwarf Seahorses... They would die in a 20 gallon. I did my research. These guys need a very slow filter current and very little room. Like with a ten gallon you could easily house a couple dozen.

I called PetCo about them and they were like

"WHAT!? SEAHORSES NEED AT LEAST 55 GALLONS YOU ARE CRAZY WTF IS A DWARF SEAHORSE ANYWAYS!?"

Me: "O.e Okay?"
Old 10-09-2011, 12:25 AM   #4 
trilobite

Bettas wont get offended if they have different sized tanks they don't think like humans do. They have no idea about gallons and are more concerned about whether or not they can see another betta or not.
I know nothing about sea horses but if your dead set on dwarf sea horses I suggest do as much research as possible, and then some more.

I'd say get another betta but I am biased.
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:26 AM   #5 
trilobite

oops sorry, didnt read the rest of the thread...
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:26 AM   #6 
Pitluvs

I'm not concerned on what seahorses need lol I just said anything under 20g for saltwater is difficult. And that seahorses are hard to keep. But if you wanted to try it, its your money right? Saltwater is expensive.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:30 AM   #7 
BettaMiah

I know... I don't think i'm ready! I'm 13... Argh.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:39 AM   #8 
Pitluvs

Im almost 27 and I'm not even ready for saltwater LOL I was going to do a nano tank with two clowns, but I chose to do the Fluval Ebi shrimp tank instead
Old 10-09-2011, 12:46 AM   #9 
Micho

Saltwater is way harder than freshwater, and much more expensive.

Really I've seen people do coral reefs for the Fluval Edge which is 6 gallons, but they had to do a lot of mods. And just coral reefs nothing else.

I wouldn't recommend dwarf seahorses, any othe kind of saltwater environment for such a small tank.

Just get another Betta for your three gallons, thinking that they'll get jealous is just silly.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 01:30 AM   #10 
Gloria

I would love a big saltwater community tank but I can imagine it would be very hard and alot more time consuming and expensive..
I'm sure if you do you research and speak with enough people and learn what is needed to be done and feel you can do it and have the money for it and for the up-keep then I say give it a go :)
My local pet shop has a case with 2 little seahorses in there and I have been in there alot of the past month and there is a dead one in has been everytime I go in.. poor thing..
If you dont want it RIGHT now and are willing to do a few weeks/ months research do it :)
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote