Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-10-2011, 03:21 PM   #1 
Trienchieu

Which food is better?

I was thinking of switching my betta pellets food when it runs out, but I don't know if hikari is better than aquaeon betta pellets. Which is better, the aquaeon betta pellets
http://s.petco.com/assets/product_im...905060516c.jpg

Or the hikari bio-gold betta pellets
http://s.petco.com/assets/product_im...905060516c.jpg
Trienchieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:39 PM   #2 
cajunamy
Banned

If I had to choose I'd pick Hikari. I have heard good things about Atison's (which is what I use, but you can only buy online) New Life Spectrum (NLS, my petco carries it and I'm thinking of switching when I run out of Atison's) & Hikari
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:01 PM   #3 
Micho

BTW, both pictures are the same, just saying.

Anyways I would choose Hikari. Heard lots of great reviews about, as soon as I'm done with my current flakes I'll switch over to Hikari.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:36 PM   #4 
LittleBettaFish

I'd heard Hikari had switched ingredients and was not as good a quality as it used to be. When I was using it for my goldfish I was fairly unimpressed. Lots of cereal by-products and fillers.

New Life Spectrum foods are probably one of the best on the market. Omega One is also good, but their foods have a very high fat content compared to other brands.

Looking at the list of ingredients for Aqueon, there looks to be a lot of fillers in there (this is just the first few ingredients). Didn't know bettas needed corn in their diet.

Whole Fish Meal (Whole salmon, herring & other mixed fishes), Whole Wheat Flour, Soybean Meal, Shrimp Meal, Whole Dried Krill, Wheat Germ, Corn Gluten Meal,
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:18 PM   #5 
Campbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
I'd heard Hikari had switched ingredients and was not as good a quality as it used to be. When I was using it for my goldfish I was fairly unimpressed. Lots of cereal by-products and fillers.
I agree. They use to have a great formula, but it has declined in the past year or so.

I use atison's because my LPS carries it, and its got high qualtiy ingridents.
Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:42 PM   #6 
Miyazawa

I kinda hate aqueon pellets because they sink like 3sec after I put them in. Currently I'm using hikari and it is awesome but I might switch to new life spectrum to give it a try
Miyazawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:53 PM   #7 
TielBird101

I don't really know much about their food but I'm using Aqueon right now and yes they do sink fast but my betta loves em. Anyone have any suggestions for a better food? Any tips on finding a good one?
TielBird101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:01 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

I use Aqueon, NLS betta formula and OmegaOne betta buffet pellets.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:28 PM   #9 
HatsuneMiku

mine are fed hikari (you can tell the difference in which formula u get by reading the ingredients .. if the 1st ingredient listed is some fish meal then it's the good kind .. if it's not then it's the re-formulated one) .. NLS betta formula .. and NLS thera+a formula
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:16 PM   #10 
Nubster

I'm using Omega One betta pellets and tropical flakes. All my fish seem to like it where as they were less than excited about the Aquaeon brand flakes I started with.
Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote