Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-11-2011, 09:49 PM   #11 
Princess Penny

I wouldn't put one in a 3 gallon. They poop a LOT. I prefer nerites (zebras)
If you don't believe me, take out the substrate so the apple snail is in a barebottom tank. In a day or two the entire floor will be pretty much covered in crap. Trust me - it's nasty! (And I didn't even feed mine, I put it in to help with an algae problem. Totally not worth it!)
Princess Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:58 PM   #12 
BettaMiah

Apple snails poo a lot... and are pretty huge.

I have Myspery snails instead. I really like them so I got 3! Your tank will be fine. Mystery snails don't poop as much. In QT I kept them in a cup for about 12 hours while acclimating them, and I had 2 in there, and the whole thing actaully wasn't flooded with poo. Just a little bit. As long as you do water changes you cab get 2 if you want. Compares to size and how much they eat they have a large bioload, but it is still pretty small.
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:59 PM   #13 
Pitluvs

I'm looking at my Apple Snail in my 15g, and he would be some depressed in a tank as small as a 3 gallon. Mine's an adult, he's about the size of my palm. That's a big snail. And yes, they are messy. Personally, I wouldn't suggest getting an Apple in such a small tank. They are quite active. Mystery snails are much smaller, but I have never personally seen one. Apples are not common here either lol
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:03 PM   #14 
BettaMiah

Oh god teh size of your hand!!!! AIEEEEEEE! Yeah, Mystery snails are great for smaller tanks. They only get about an inch.

A snail... the size of your palm.... *Stares at my snails*

Oh wait, I forgot, one died while in QT. I was moving it to the big tank and its door came off and its insides spilled out. *Sigh* I knew it must be dead ot it hadn't moved for 2 weeks. Yet I continuted to keep in and feed it....

And yes, they are actually very active. Blue and I (My blue mysetry snail) like to play tricks on my dad. Sometimes he sits in my room with me and watched me fish, and when he leaves to go do something real quick, I pick Blu up and move him to some crazy place like the opposite side of the tank or on top of the filter! Blu learned how to climb the divider, it is quite funny. Last night I heard dripping, so I came down to see what was up, and I thought my filter must be screwed up, and low and behold Blu is sitting there climbing over it and the water is pouring over bis back making a dripping sound!

Last edited by BettaMiah; 10-11-2011 at 10:06 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:08 PM   #15 
BettaMiah

http://www.fishpondinfo.com/photos/m.../hugesnail.jpg

Do their shells grow too?
Old 10-12-2011, 10:05 AM   #16 
Laki

Wow, I seen google images of hand size snails. While that's cool I already decided I'm not getting an apple snail. That's for sure! I would rather not poison Lakitu with ammonia from a snail :)

I'm really debating now. Mystery snails only get to be 1 inch?? Hm.. But I think I would better if I had one in a bigger tank... With a filter.

Feel free to share ideas and pictures with me too! I think I stepped off the fence on snails but I still think they're cool!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:03 AM   #17 
Silverfang

There is a golf ball sized snail in the "show" tank at the pet shop in the village.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:23 AM   #18 
Laki

The caiman tank or the turtles tank? I never seen it :/ But it sure sounds awesome! I seen their little snail in the zen tank or whatever on the counter. That's the one I was watching with my neice while my sister talked to Andrea. It wasn't that big though!
Old 10-12-2011, 11:34 AM   #19 
Silverfang

Hmmm, maybe they sold it, haven't been in there in over a week
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:42 AM   #20 
Laki

Well, I only glanced at the turtles. I love them but they remind me of my own (which I had to re-home) and so it makes me sad. Plus, you cannot see down into the water anyway... Maybe the turtles ate it?

o.o Wait a second. You mean the caiman tank..

I seen the paint on the tank saying "I spy..." an apple snail. But I was too distraught at the caiman staring back at me which startled me bc he was closer than I thought and when my eyes focused on him it scared me. Somehow they managed to kill the other caimen. Poor thing. Probably wild caught.