Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-10-2011, 04:04 PM   #1 
ksage505

Do the liquid algae control products work well?

Its been a long time since I've tried a liquid algae product, but when I did the brand I had never seemed to make a difference. I just scrub away algae when I do water changes but I'm really getting tired of it. I can't really keep my aquariums out of sunlight. One wall of my room is basically all glass so I always end up having algae trouble. Do the liquid products work well? Which brand is the best?
ksage505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:22 PM   #2 
Laki

I wouldn't use those... Don't like the idea of unnecessary chemicals.. Aside from tap water treatment I only add IAL. Live plants can help with algae. Marimo moss balls are good for that. Algae eaters (but you need to be careful with the species you get) and different aquatic snails also control algae.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:54 PM   #3 
Littlebittyfish

Any way to block out the side of the tank that is getting direct sun? I have my 10 gallon infront of a window and I used a black cardstock to block out the back so there wasn't any direct sunlight..It helped alot. From what I have read from reviews and such it seems the algae products work best for green water algae and diatoms...not sure if it would work for other types..I have never tried anyof the algae products so I don't have much advice their unfortunately.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:06 AM   #4 
Thunderloon

They do work and some work well, downside is they take out almost everything that is green. As said above, its a needless chemical.

Algae growth is an indication that you've got an unwantedly high level of dissolved nutrients in the tank. A mild increase in water changes, reduction in side-wall facing light and possibly some pre-filtering of water are called for. The easiest to control of these is the light.

I actually choose a side on which to grow algae in some of my tanks, this lets me use the algae to consume the nutrients then I can scrape it off and net it out with a fine mesh net.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote