Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-24-2011, 01:41 PM   #1 
MistersMom

Exclamation No movement

I got him yesterday. hes not vry active he swims to the top, then bottom, or inside his little cave thingy. Whats wrong with him?!?!
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 01:42 PM   #2 
MinibotLove

He's probably adjusting to his new home after the trip. Is your tank warm enough for him? If they're too cold, it will make them sluggish and lethargic.
MinibotLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 01:50 PM   #3 
MistersMom

D: i dont have a heater... its like 75^......... idk....
Old 09-24-2011, 03:28 PM   #4 
betaguy

i truest the water is dechlorinated?
betaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:41 PM   #5 
LaLaLeyla

Did you acclimate him to the water?
If you did he is probably just trying to adjust to his new environment : )
LaLaLeyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:03 PM   #6 
Myates

It can take a week or so for them to get comfortable. Sounds like he is exploring if he is going up and down and into his cave. Give him time and he'll relax =)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:10 PM   #7 
MistersMom

No Chlorine i ALWAYS put the drops in, and yes i let him adjust to the water, and i hope hes just exploreing.... i have him and another in a half gal. with a divider tht i bought, i plan on getting nothe rhalf gal. so the dont have to share. its not enough room in my opinion.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:24 PM   #8 
Vaughan06

Instead of buying another 1/2 gallon, buy the 2.5 gallon made by every brand. It comes with a divider. That way you have more room to decorate and your Bettas will have more room as well. Plus, you can put a heater in it.
Vaughan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:47 AM   #9 
Myates

2 sharing a half gallon is way too small. Normally I don't get into these topics/debates as I have 1 gallons that I use/d. One of my boys prefers it. But if you have 2 bettas in a half gallon you need to be doing water changes daily 100%, or heck, maybe even twice a day. Unfortunately, that will cause harm. Bettas need time between water changes to build up their immunity to bacteria and such.
They also prefer heavy planting and caves to hide in. Pretty much you are forcing two enemies to stay inches from one another without any relief to go and hide.
Unfortunately they sell those small tanks, which make great tanks for QTs, or water changes to hold them in for a short while.. but many use them as permanent homes and something that small for one can be stressful enough, but 2 is even worse. For the same price (and sometimes cheaper) you can get a 1-2 gallons that you can use to home one guy in.
I just went online and ordered 2 2 gal kritter keepers for $8 each at Petco.
I can't tell you that you can't go out and get another half gallon, because as long as you are doing the proper water changes, every other day for a single betta in one, then they can live in it. Just be aware that a small container like that can cause health issues in time.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:36 PM   #10 
MistersMom

i know and i am not meaning to... what 2.5 gallons??? i was at wally world and thts where i buy everything... i dont see 2.5 gallons, i guess i could get a goldfish bowl. 2 of them wuld that work? i have a money limit too, i cant spend a ton of money on bowls, other wise i would get some awsome ones. but any way, i plan on the next time i go to walmart to get a bowl or 2 i guess. i don't know. how about you guys say in a few short sentences the cheapest thing i can do, bowls and such. and what decorations, and what sizes, and post pictures, does anyone think a jug would be a good idwa? like a wine jug? a 4l one?idk!!!!!! every one just tell me your opinions. lol.Kritter Keepers look good, i just dont like that lid. i looked them up on google, i could gt 1 or 2 of those!!!! and i need to gt all of my bettas some of those little cave things i only have 2 right now and i have 5 bettas, im going to make a list you guys help by telling me stuff. PLEASE AND THANK YOU?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Last edited by MistersMom; 09-25-2011 at 08:44 PM.