Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-10-2011, 08:03 PM   #1 
helenenicole

Last hope and diagnosing my betta.

I have been reading every website and every post I could possibly find to match symptoms of other bettas to my poor George and either none of the treatments are working or nothing is matching just right. So this is my last hope, as he looks like he is suffering immensely.

Almost a week ago I realized he wasn't eating when I fed my fish, he was swimming around and his usual self but just not eating. After two days I realized he didn't eat a thing and he stopped swimming around. I immediately removed him from the 10gal community aquarium and placed him into a 5gal alone with nothing to monitor him more closely. I fed him, nothing, removed the food. Decided to try fasting him, he is on his fourth day of a fast and will be trying a pea (he does not look bloated). Today was also his third day receiving an ES bath in a gallon of water for 20 minutes. The first time he was placed into the bath he swam around happy for a few minutes. Then back to not moving.

He was originally staying at the top of the water, not moving just lifting his head from time to time to breathe. He started staying at the bottom of the tank for the last day or so.

So on top of him not eating, not really moving, his one eye appears to be swollen , and one of the first things we noticed was VERY slight fin rot, so he has been medicated with Melafix for about a week now. Nothing has seemed to progress but nothing is getting better.

Today we thought maybe he is depressed and needs to be back with the other fish so we put him back in the 10gal and he is just laying at the top of the water on a plant, not moving. I attached a picture of him doing so. I just don't know exactly what to do. If he needs a different type of medication or whatever, it just is not clear with diagnosing him because of the range of symptoms he seems to have. Any help is really welcome.

Housing
What size is your tank? 10gal
What temperature is your tank? ~78 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 1 cory, 3 danios, 2 neon tetras, a snail, 4 ghost shrimp, and a fiddler crab -- we had a tiger barb but realized it was nipping at George so we took him out and gave him to a friend

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? flakes, granules, and baby shrimp from the tetramin
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2-3 times a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? start right

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? no - but it seems if there was an issue all fish would be affected.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? very slight fin rot, swollen eye
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? very lethargic, not eating
When did you start noticing the symptoms? about a week ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? yes, melafix and ES baths
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? i got him a month ago he is very small i assume very young
helenenicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:10 PM   #2 
Wulvie Sharpteeth

I'm not sure how long you have had George for, but maybe he's just getting old :S

well, good luck to you and George. I hope you can find a symptom and then some medication :S
Wulvie Sharpteeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:13 PM   #3 
Miyazawa

It sounds like pop eye. And melaxfix is not good for Betta fish since the tree oil can clog the organ that they use the breathe. I don't know much but sounds like internal parasites.
Miyazawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:16 PM   #4 
helenenicole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyazawa View Post
It sounds like pop eye. And melaxfix is not good for Betta fish since the tree oil can clog the organ that they use the breathe. I don't know much but sounds like internal parasites.
so I should just stick with the epsom salt baths? I am worried if I should keep him isolated from the other fish still.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:17 PM   #5 
helenenicole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulvie Sharpteeth View Post
I'm not sure how long you have had George for, but maybe he's just getting old :S

well, good luck to you and George. I hope you can find a symptom and then some medication :S
I had him for about a month, I think he is quite young he is very small.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:24 PM   #6 
Wulvie Sharpteeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenenicole View Post
I had him for about a month, I think he is quite young he is very small.
Oh, well then I am not sure :S I agree with Miyazawa, it could be pop-eye. We used to have some Malawis with pop-eye, they werent eating either and were also staying still. But once we put them into a nicer tank (a cleaner one too) they perked right up.

the point is, the pop-eye is probably causing his unhappiness and his loss of apetite.

OH! also, it turned out that the pebbles that we had in the malawi tank were causing the harm, so maybe you need to double check the items in your tank :L

good luck to you
Wulvie Sharpteeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:31 PM   #7 
helenenicole

forgot to include the image of him. he looks so helpless wish i could help him :(
Old 10-10-2011, 08:36 PM   #8 
Miyazawa

"Popeye
•Symptoms: One or both eyes will swell and bulge out. It in itself can also be a symptom of Dropsy.
•Treatment: Usually not fatal if treated, but your betta might lose an eye. Conservative: If the swelling is extreme then use ES first. Perform 100% daily water changes. You may be able to treat the popeye with just Epsom and clean water. However, if the swelling goes down but the eyes remain cloudy/white, then switch to Aq.Salt at 1tsp/gal or use medications. Do not combine Aq.Salt with medications but you can continue to use ES during medical treatments. Medication: If ES or Aq.Salt do not do the trick or it is a serious case of popeye, then combine the ES with API Tetracycline, API Fungus Cure, API General Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR Mardel’s Maracyn. " from the sticky
Miyazawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:39 PM   #9 
Myates

Welcome to the forum.. poor guy and poor you going through all this!

Lets see if we can get him better for you. He is lethargic, not eating and one of his eyes is swollen. Sounds like something going on with the water chemistry for a few of those things. The eye could be from a nip from another fish, banged it, or popeye.

I would QT him in a smaller container, a tupperware would even work. Float it/tape it to the larger tank to keep it warmer for him. For Popeye conservative treatment: If the swelling is extreme then use Epsom Salt first. Perform 100% daily water changes. Do this treatment for 10 days. You may be able to treat the popeye with just Epsom and clean water. However, if the swelling goes down but the eyes remain cloudy/white, then switch to AQ Salt at 1tsp/gal (daily 100% water changes for 10-14 days) or use medications. Do not combine AQ Salt with medications but you can continue to use ES during medical treatments. Medication: If ES or AQ Salt do not do the trick or it is a serious case of popeye, then combine the ES with API Tetracycline, API Fungus Cure, API General Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR Mardel’s Maracyn.
Once the swelling goes away and that looks healed you can focus on the fin rot. Are the edges of his fins black and flaking/shredding/falling off? If so you can use the AQ salt at 1tsp per gallon with daily 100% water changes for 10-14 days. That usually does the trick.

As for not eating.. they can survive a bit without food.. but best to keep trying to get him to eat. If you can, try getting either fresh garlic or a jar of garlics without any salts/flavorings. Soak a couple pellets in the juice from the jar (or crush up a clove, mixing that with water and soaking pellet in that) right before you feed it. Usually the garlic will stimulate hunger in them and get them to eat. Make sure to remove any uneaten shortly after feeding, or try feeding one at a time to see if he will eat.

I wish you luck and him a speedy recovery.

If you have that spare 5gal, maybe consider making that his own home? That way you can add in the appropriate number of tetras/danios those fish thrive in, and George gets a nice home all to himself! Just a thought =)

Last edited by Myates; 10-10-2011 at 08:41 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:47 PM   #10 
helenenicole

Thank you everyone so much. I am going to put him back in the other tank alone and try 100% water changes everyday. I was wondering is it okay to put the epsom salt in the tank with him or is it best to give him "baths" for like 20 minutes a day?