Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-10-2011, 08:38 PM   #1 
bettafish333
Banned

What???????

Hello Every One,

I have a male veiltale and a female crown tale. I am in the process of breeding them. I put the female in the tank with the male and the bubble nest. Then, the male swam away and hid from the female!!! I am lost and need some help. PLEASE!
bettafish333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:51 PM   #2 
Bambi

They don't often go right to it...did you condition them first? If the female was being aggressive and not ready to breed it might have startled the male.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:53 PM   #3 
bettafish333
Banned

Ya she was ready she had the line across her stomach and all, i have other males should i try it with them?
Old 10-10-2011, 09:01 PM   #4 
Myates

How long did you have her in his tank (while she was in her own jar/vase) prior to letting her out to be with him? Stripes doesn't mean she is ready to mate.. mine stripes up every time there is a male close, but they are in no way ready to mate.

Which makes me ask.. which line are you talking about? A line from head to tail, or the bars up and down the body from top fin to lower?

Here is some info you need to consider before take on this long, expensive, hard journey.. make sure you have everything needed.. conditioning the fish, all the spare tanks, jars, heaters, etc you will need for the fry - plus cultivating the food..

Considerations - definitely need to do a lot of research and even though there is a lot of info in these links, there is still so much more when breeding.
Conditioning & spawning
Raising the fry
And last but not least: Feeding the fry

Just be prepared for hundreds of fry, where you are selling them to, how you are going to house each male prior to selling them so that they are healthy, culling the babies if needed, etc.

Since you sound unsure and just willing to go with any male, I honestly don't think you've done all the research needed and understand just how overwhelming and expensive this can become.

Last edited by Myates; 10-10-2011 at 09:06 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:08 PM   #5 
bettafish333
Banned

the one across her stomach and yeah i have everything and i let them look at eachother until he made a bubble nest then put her in the tank and he just swam away
Old 10-10-2011, 09:12 PM   #6 
Myates

Across her stomach from head to tail is a stress stripe and not breeding.. they didn't breed because they weren't conditioned and didn't want to breed. Don't keep her in the tank with him unless they are divided or you will have an injured/dead betta.. He may of made the nest for different reasons as well.. especially if she wasn't in his tank in her own container (water level down so she could breathe)
Old 10-10-2011, 09:39 PM   #7 
youlovegnats

FYI,

Stress stripes:

Breeding stripes:

I agree Myates 100%. You need to do a LOT more research before you breed again.
I suggest reading these stickies and finding out everything you need.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=82909
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=82910
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=82911
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:57 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

What kind of setup do you have your pair in? What are you planning on feeding the fry?
Here is a list of questions you need to ask yourself to find out if you are ready for the responsibility of breeding bettas and raising fry. There is more to it than tossing a male and female together and letting nature take it's course. I'm not trying to be mean here: we want people to be prepared before taking on such a big responsibility.
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...estions-65791/

Last edited by dramaqueen; 10-11-2011 at 12:02 AM.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:25 AM   #9 
Myates

And even then, breeding stripes doesn't always mean she is ready. My female who is in her own tank between two males gets them when her and one of the males starts to dance together (now they are all used to each other so doesn't happen as much) but she didn't have eggs in her, and if I put them together when they were like that I'm sure she would of totally not been cooperative and would harm a male. lol just thinking about poor Xander running away after thinking he was a big shot when they were in separate tanks makes me giggle. He thinks he's so tough =P
Old 10-11-2011, 10:49 AM   #10 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish333 View Post
Hello Every One,

I have a male veiltale and a female crown tale. I am in the process of breeding them. I put the female in the tank with the male and the bubble nest. Then, the male swam away and hid from the female!!! I am lost and need some help. PLEASE!
Did the male hide or did he try to flirt?
When a male builds bubble nests upon seeing a female, he doesn't normally "RUN" he might swim away but to flirt - in an "S" style. Not even if the female is gigantic and ready to fight him. He will always start to flirt swim.

The courtship ritual is sort of a game of follow the leader - sometimes the male follows the female, sometime the opposite. But either one will swim away from the other in a flirting motion and the other will follow. Healthy pairs will swim away fast and return as fast too.

Sometimes, since the female had just been poured in, she is in a light shock and needs a few seconds to realize where she is. But the male will immediately flirt - swimming away and wait for the female to react. If the female's reaction is late, the male will return to her and swim all around her.

So if your male had a BN but ran away from the female, you might have shocked and stressed him big time.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote