Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-14-2011, 01:08 PM   #21 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I agree with calvin, too risky for a newbie. Even I wouldn't do it.

Instead of releasing a second male; you can use mirrors, float another male in the tank, or place another male next to the tank. Let him flare for a while then rest him for the rest of the day. Usually rivalry will induce spawning.
indjo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:39 PM   #22 
Myates

Do you have a grow out tank? A 10 gal is not nearly enough...
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:24 PM   #23 
trilobite

It seems that the male lost his confidence/territory.

If the extent of his confidence is so low that he is now to scared to flare at anything then if I were you I would try to increase the males confidence and aggression first by isolating him and not letting him view any orther bettas/ fish for a while. This is to allow him to reclaim his territory and not feel like there is a stronger betta who is constanly trying to scare him from it.

Then, after isolation, let him see a weak, small, submissive female but only for a very short time (do not put her in the tank, just next to it).
Do not give the male any oppertunity to give up and hide, if you think he is flaring nicely then take the female away and let the male "win the fight."
If however you notice him getting less aggressive, take the female away immediately. It is vital that you do not give him any opertunity to give up and lose the "fight"
Do this a few times a week but not every day.

Eventually after this "training" your male should be brave enough to defend his territory if all his "encounters" with bettas have resulted in him winning the "fight"

This is how I make my cowards braver
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:29 PM   #24 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobite View Post
It seems that the male lost his confidence/territory.

If the extent of his confidence is so low that he is now to scared to flare at anything then if I were you I would try to increase the males confidence and aggression first by isolating him and not letting him view any orther bettas/ fish for a while. This is to allow him to reclaim his territory and not feel like there is a stronger betta who is constanly trying to scare him from it.

Then, after isolation, let him see a weak, small, submissive female but only for a very short time (do not put her in the tank, just next to it).
Do not give the male any oppertunity to give up and hide, if you think he is flaring nicely then take the female away and let the male "win the fight."
If however you notice him getting less aggressive, take the female away immediately. It is vital that you do not give him any opertunity to give up and lose the "fight"
Do this a few times a week but not every day.

Eventually after this "training" your male should be brave enough to defend his territory if all his "encounters" with bettas have resulted in him winning the "fight"

This is how I make my cowards braver
Wow great idea!
Bettas Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:30 PM   #25 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvinWill View Post
while this is good advice from an experienced breeder, this sounds like a very bad idea for a "rookie".

I would wait a while and try reconditioning before adding another male into the mix.

No offense, BR.
No offense taken
Old 10-16-2011, 01:56 PM   #26 
Myates

For those following this thread.. His new breeding thread/log.
Only doing this so we can help guide along the way..
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 03:35 PM   #27 
bettafish333
Banned

Thanks myates i really apreaciate everyones help!
bettafish333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:04 PM   #28 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
I agree with calvin, too risky for a newbie. Even I wouldn't do it.

Instead of releasing a second male; you can use mirrors, float another male in the tank, or place another male next to the tank. Let him flare for a while then rest him for the rest of the day. Usually rivalry will induce spawning.
I totally understand. I only had to do it once and I watched very closely to be sure no fighting took place. I used this technique on my rose tail male that had never even blown a bubble nest or flared at males. Now he flares at other males and blows nests in his own tank. I have saved betta's that were put into the same cup with each other, they had fought so long that they had established dominance by the time I came and bought them from wal-mart. The damage was nothing worse than what you would see in a typical spawning couple. So I feel that I can safely say that the risk is minimal at best. Especially when you have a male that refuses to flare at his own reflection or at other males by his tank like my Rose Tail male. For my male this was the best option.