Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-06-2011, 12:35 AM   #1 
Sena Hansler

Exclamation Lack of progress in Sasuke's recovery!!

It's a battle for sure... My friend rescued a full red VT betta from a neighbor who had him with 4 guppies and 2 catfish in a 29 gallon that beforehand housed marijuana plants and who knows what else... The tank was never cleaned. We estimate this betta to be... I'd say 2-2.5 years? He has the following: SBD reoccurring, ammonia scarring and burns, shredded, nipped and rotting fins...

So been using Epsom for a couple weeks for the SBD and it always reoccurs.. I may up the dose to 2-3 tsp per gallon! Today he is swimming fine, but tomorrow who knows? But now his fin rot has become more apparent. Although a part of his fins (shredded, bitten, rotted) has grown back there is white fuzz developing on the tips now! And he is not as vibrant red!!

I'm wanting to give her one of my other males, in case he doesn't survive...
So... Should I worry more on the SBD or the fin rot??!!! I don't know what to do :(
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:40 AM   #2 
Indyfishy

Oh boy, sounds like a super tough situation =/ I would normally say AQ salt for the finrot, but AQ salt makes SBD worse, and i don't think you can mix epsom and aquarium salt. Since you can't mix them, and it sounds like he's in super bad shape, I would just go ahead and use an antibiotic to treat the rot. Maracyn II should take care of the rot, and I'm pretty sure that it's safe to mix it with the epsom. Poor guy, i hope he pulls through, it sounds like he's been through heck =(

Last edited by Indyfishy; 10-06-2011 at 12:49 AM.
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:45 AM   #3 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyfishy View Post
Oh boy, sounds like a super tough situation =/ I would normally say AQ salt for the finrot, but AQ salt makes SBD worse, and i don't think you can mix epsom and aquarium salt. Since you can't mix them, and it sounds like he's in super bad shape, I would just go ahead and use an antibiotic to treat the rot. Maracyn II should take care of the rot, and I'm pretty sure that it's safe to mix it with the maracyn. Poor guy, i hope he pulls through, it sounds like he's been through heck =(
He has been :( if it weren't for two reasons - one being my friend loves the little guy... I'd recommend actually... Putting him to sleep because of how bad of shape he is. BUT when you look at him, he looks right back at you! And he is NEVER still, he's a real fighter. If he were... Sitting there rarely moving, no interest, always sickly looking... I would have actually recommended it but I just can't D:
Old 10-06-2011, 12:51 AM   #4 
Indyfishy

Sounds like he has a fighting spirit!!!! I hope he makes it through!!! Adding tannins from either indian almond leaves, or naturally dried and crushed oak leaves could help him alot. Stresscoat would be a great alternative to that as well, it will help soothe him and boost his immune system a bit. Also, feeding him high protein foods will help him heal up (live or frozen would be best).
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:48 AM   #5 
Sena Hansler

I have live foods for him... Will it be okay with SBD? I notice with many bettas I've dealt with who have SBD food is a bad idea as it causes more bloating.

He's gone a bit paler as well, which is why I am wondering whether or not I should up the dose of epsom salt?

Also... Here for some pathetic reason we lack ANYTHING we could use for fin rot. No fin rot meds anywhere... Not even the recommended one you said, or what people recommend here. So now it's kind of a "hmmmmm" thing. I would like to put him in a breeder's net and have him in the 20 gallon (warmer) but I don't know if it'd be okay to use epsom salt with my females and balloon molies in there.... so...yeah.... I might float his container though.

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 10-06-2011 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:23 AM   #6 
youlovegnats

SBD and bloating are different. Bloating is from being over-fed and SBD is from poor water conditions or sometimes genetic. If it keeps returning I'm thinking she's not following all the way through with treatment, or that it might be genetic.

Has she done the full treatment of epsom salt? It needs to be done for 10 days (no breaks) because it can return if stopped ans then started again.
If it's genetic, well there isn't much you can do other than have him in a tank with low water levels (4-5").
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:35 AM   #7 
Sena Hansler

I'm the one treating him, because she doesn't actually know what to do... And I have done it now for I guess what is 10 days in a row...

it apparently is not genetic, as he wasn't like this before apparently (by word of the neighbor) so it's probably from severe bad water quality. He does get better, and right now surprisingly he is better two days in a row now. I may feed him the meat of a mealworm, and see if he doesn't bloat up again. I'm going to get her to get pellets, and I'll give her some of the freeze-dried bloodworms I have... And he'll be on a strict diet. He never was and never is overfed, and actually I've been feeding him once every three days because he seems to have problems even with a single piece of anything (freeze dried, pellet or flake)

But if it is genetic it's not SBD? Like I said I may just give her one of my males and keep him, at least until I can definitely determine if it's permanent. If it is, she'll have to use her 3.4 gallon rather than the 10 for him... Be easier on the little guy.

Also, about the ammonia burns/scarring...the top layer of his "face plates"/gills are white, like they are healing, but sometimes a piece flakes off... is that normal? He doesn't seem bothered by it, no heavy breathing or anything.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:40 AM   #8 
youlovegnats

Ah ok, my bad. I thought since it was her fish, she was treating ^^.
Well he seems 'ok' for now if he's getting better.
His face sounds like it's healing. It's like when you cut your arm and a scab forms- then falls off. :) As long as he isn't floating or having other problems I'd say he's on the way to healing.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:43 AM   #9 
Sena Hansler

Yay!!! lol well she rescued him, but she told me "I think he's going to die... he's swimming weird and his belly is really big..." so I took a look, and told her since I have all the equipment at home I'd take him home and help him for her :) She's new to bettas, and all of hers seemed to die NOT because of her but because of her mean older brothers who kill her fish in the oddest and cruel ways.......... So thought he was safer with me anyways during the progress!!!

I'll do the epsom one more day, after a 100% water change. Then I'll see if he won't relapse. Then I'll use the AQ for the fin rot! That poor thing... I've only ever seen a handful of bettas this bad, and they always die (usually in stores......) but I'm not going to have a lack of effort!
Old 10-06-2011, 11:48 AM   #10 
youlovegnats

I'm glad you're helping her out! ^^
Just make sure you get rid of the SBD problem before you start adding AQ salt. You can always just get rid on fin rot with clean water too. :)