Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-10-2011, 04:28 PM   #1 
emeraldsky

Question Sorority Help?

Hello All,
I recently decided that I would like to set up a sorority and have a 40g long tank I'm able to use. It would be filtered and heated. I'd be using sand substrate and would of course, have it heavily planted. I'm thinking of about 10 girls, maybe 15.

After reading pretty much every thread I could find on here about sororities, I'm wondering if it would be best for me.

You see, I work 8am-5pm weekdays, Im generally home on the weeknights and weekends, but I do have events that I have to go to which cause me to be gone for 2 or 3 days once a month.

From what I've read, you have to put a massive amount of time into sororities in order for them to work out (if they work out). I'd be more than willing to put in the work, but I don't know if my schedule would permit me to put in the work that is necessary.

So if I could get your opinions on this, I would be so appreciative. I'd love to have this set up, but not at the expense of the fish.

If you think I cant do this, then maybe I could have some suggestion on alternatives? I was thinking of dividing the tank as well, or having a community tank and 1 male or female betta. (Though to be honest, Id rather have all bettas )

How many bettas could a 40g long divided tank hold btw? o.o

Also, please give me your honest opinions, I'm a big girl and can handle them XD
emeraldsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:47 PM   #2 
TequilatheBetta

I think they mean that you have to do a lot of adjusting- like taking out girls, putting in new ones, separating the ones that are too agressive, even redoing the decor so that it's harder for the girls to chase each other. More often then not, the girls don't work with each other and you have to have the space to separate them. However, with a heavily planted 40 long, and 15 girls, the agression would be minimal compared to 4 girls in a 10 gallon.
Depending on how long your tank is, I think you can have up to 10 compartments. Keep in mind, though, dividers aren't the most attractive and if they failed, all hell would break loose XD Also, it would be hard to heat and filter properly. Bettas also prefer swimming long distances to up and down.
Good luck!
TequilatheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:54 PM   #3 
emeraldsky

Thank you for the info, I dont think I'd have 10 compartments if I did divide it, it seems like it would be way too awkward XD I'm also not worried on how the dividers would look, so long as they would be sturdy. The tank will be in my room and my fish will be all to myself >:3 So cosmetics isnt a priority, just the safety and health of them fish ^^

Its 36 inches long though. Its the 40g long tank from petco, giving in to the Dollar per gallon sale LOL

It seems the the tank would need constant surveillance though, at least from what Ive read and I dont think I'd be able to give that D:
Old 10-10-2011, 11:57 PM   #4 
Bloeduwedd

I've had my sorority set up for... a month now I think, and honestly I have had zero problems with my girls. They're very friendly with each other, unnaturally so it seems. I recently added two girls, with minimal tank redecoration (not much I could move since most of my plants are well rooted) and the worst I've seen is that there is one nice bite out of one new girl's tail. That is literally the worst I've seen, and it's already healing up. They don't nip or pick on each other, or any other fish in the tank. I check on them a couple times a day, but I've gotten to the point where I'm not walking on eggshells anymore. I think it completely depends on the temperment of the girls you get. I seem to have picked 7 extremely calm and social girls lol.
Bloeduwedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:24 AM   #5 
emeraldsky

ah im worried about getting ones thatll just freak out and eat everything LOL

I dont think id be able to get siblings either, which also worries me :/

Im glad your sorority is working out though, congrats! 8D

Tags
sorority