Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-10-2011, 11:33 PM   #1 
pretty

divided tank, one fish issue??

I have a divided tank (more info below) one side is Yolkie, and one side is Fidgy.

When they see each other thru the divider, Yolkie flares and vibrates and gets kinda mean, but Fidgy doesnt respond at all? Doesn't turn away, doesnt flare, nothing. I have some other concerns with Fidgy, and if there is anything i can do to help him I would like to get on with it! Hes a pretty boy and I want him to be healthy and happy.
Fidgy doesnt eat very well, only eats flakes once they have sunk to the bottom. He freaks out when i open the lid to feed, like bangs into the bottom of the tank a few times getting away.. And I still catch him floating or swimming vertically- and his spine doesnt seem straight, hes got like a banana shape curved upwards towards his tail..

Yolkie, just on the other side of the divider, has been building a bubble nest, aggresivly taking food, jumping out of the water to bump my finger, and flaring when he sees Fidgy. My 2 other betta are happy and healthy also.

I bought them at the same store, at the same time, i have another thread that I showed before and after pix of yolkie within hours of me getting him home into warm conditioned clean water, and his activities today just make me feel like hes happy and healthy. Fidgy, on the other hand, i feel like hes my lil cripple and i need to be doing more for him.

My main concern is Fidgy shares a divided tank with Yolkie.

Any suggestions? I filled out the questionare, below.
And heres the link to show yolkies improvement over a few hours- Here

Here's a picture of Fidgy from yesterday but he hasnt changed that i can notice...

Housing
What size is your tank? 1g

What temperature is your tank? 80

Does your tank have a filter? no

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no

Is your tank heated? no

What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none, divided with one betta each side

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? yolkie eats worms, flakes, pellets, fidgy eats flakes off the bottom only

How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day, worms as treats between

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? havent had them but a few days, but bcuz of tank size planned on 2x 20% and 1x 100% weekly

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? see above

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? yes, brighter colors, shinier iridescence, more spread fins

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? some, yolkie is happier making bubble nests and aggressily going after food,
fidgy not so much, doesnt swim vertical anymore but just hangs around

When did you start noticing the symptoms? as soon as i brought him home

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? more attention, talking to them

Does your fish have any history of being ill? fidgy, he was swimming and floating vertically for about 4 hours after i brought him home, and still does occasionally

How old is your fish (approximately)? not sure. just bought at walmart, (i had to save them) so maybe a few months
pretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:52 AM   #2 
Banicks

I can't see any of the pics because of work, but the first thing that struck me was your tank.

You have two Betta's in a divided 1g? So approx .5g of water each?

Will assist more when I'm home.
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:02 AM   #3 
Myates

I still stand by what I said in your other thread you made about him: HERE
It could be from the acclimation process to his new home (both temp and chemistry), or that he was sick prior to you getting him. Especially if you say his spine isn't straight..
As for flaring, they don't always flare right away. It took a month+ for one of my little boys to flare and even still the only way he will flare is if he a sees a female and it lasts all of 30 seconds or less.
Each one takes their own time when it comes to when they feel comfortable enough to eat, and how.

If he continues to float vertically then do the ES treatment mentioned in your other thread to correct any SB issue he may be having.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:57 AM   #4 
pretty

thanks myates, i def have the es not far from my hand lately! When I noticed him not flaring, well not even acting like he noticed Yolkie i was a little concerned bcuz of the possible sbd and eating issues and just his overall not so healthy look. It did cross my mind that he may be a lot younger then Yolkie, but I thought he would at least swim away or something not just float there face to face thru the divider with him..
Do you think the spine thing looks funny based on the pix? or does he just have a weird base to his dorsal??
He's not any better today, ate a little more then yesterday, flakes only still but this time as they were floating down, instead of poking between the pebbles at the bottom.

by the way, this is going on 48 hours i've had him home, when should i go ahead and try and treat the potential sbd? I dont want to stress him out more by seperating him into a smaller container for treatment until i rly should.. eehhh
pretty is offline   Reply With Quote