Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-11-2011, 10:10 AM   #1 
adamxaotmic

On the contrary

As Betta owners we know how dumb it is to keep Bettas in those tiny "novelty" tanks. I personally would never keep a Betta in anything that's less than 2gal with a heater and 50% WC every other day if not filtered.

These are the tanks I'm talking about.
Betta Treasures Collection Blue Lagoon Betta Bowl
Marina Betta Kits - 1/2 Gallon

While at Petco awhile ago I was getting some Glolight Tetras. Fish that only get up to 2". I told the chick how many I wanted and the first thing she did was ask how big my aquarium was. I had planned to put 4 of them in a 5gal. She then says "well following the inch per gallon rule, the most you should put in there is 3." And I thought, really? 3 2" fish in a 5gal? And in my defense, the fish were only 1" at the time.

Man! She then started lecturing me on responsible aquarium keeping, etc, etc. All I have to say is that if the people that work in these pet stores are so uppity about making sure I get the right amount of fish per gallon, then why do they sell 1/2gal bowls for Bettas that get 3"? If that's the case then the smallest aquarium they should sell for a Betta should be 3gal. Just MPO.
adamxaotmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:10 PM   #2 
Princess Penny

They're probably taught that bettas breathe only air, and love small cramped tanks.

But yeah, if they know that much about other fish, you'd think they would know more about bettas!
Princess Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:18 PM   #3 
tf1265

The "gallon per inch of fish" rule isn't a hard and fast rule. It depends on the bioload of the particular fish. Snails, for instance, have a pretty large bioload but aren't even an inch long. Bettas have a small bioload but are on the larger side. You can also overcome that general safe-zone rule with proper care - live plants will do a lot to eliminate some of the toxins, thus decreasing the bio load. Frequent water changes will also overcome this. Clearly she needs her own lesson on responsible fish keeping.

That being said - glowlight tetras are very active shoaling fish. They should be kept in groups of at least 6 in tanks minimum of 10 gallons, at least for optimal care. 4 in a 5 gallon is the equivalent of a betta in a 1 gallon - yes, they'll live a while, no it's not really "good" for them.

But that pet store lady was way off with her advice.
tf1265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:14 PM   #4 
CrowntailTwitchy57

http://petscontained.com/inc/sdetail/6811 this is what my fish is in, and she's perfectly fine.
CrowntailTwitchy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:18 PM   #5 
Laki

I agree with you on the hypocrit-ness of the situation. Those tiny betta containers are a direct blah against the inch-per-gallon rule... Which is a dumb rule and often leads people to crowd their tanks with the wrong fish, while also over crowding. BUT, did she sell you the fish you wanted? Bc she does work in a retail outlet, and you could bite her in the butt if you talked to management.. I know that would be a bit extreme but...
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:53 PM   #6 
Okami

I cant stand people who swear by that stupid rule. I set up a 10 gallon for a friend once, and we had cardnal tetras in it to start him off after the cycle. I put on a filter desinged to handle 20 gallons because I know he wanted to have a few exttra cardnals. We went to get more I think he grabbed a Neon Dwarf Gorami.

any way The Gorami and tetras were doing fine, we go to the pet store for the bottom dwellers and this girl starts lecturing me about the 1 inch rule. I blinked and politely said. "Listen, I have been in this hobby for 12 years (at the time) that tank is not crowded, the fish we want are BOTTOM dwellers plus I overclocked the filter to compensate if we did over crowd."

These people always assume... I wanted to speek to a manager but low and behold she was the department manager. I then told her she needs to throw out the Pet-Co fish manual and read something that is more informitive and to get more facts before she starts lecturing some one.

Its Pet super markets with the live animals run by people like her that always will recomend tiney containers for bettas, and put Brackish species in fresh water. Yep while I was there I pointed to the tank of dying Monos that those need to be put in brackish or salt water. Some people are to dumb and need to think outside the box.
Okami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:05 PM   #7 
LittleBettaFish

Firstly, please do not put glofish in anything smaller than a 15-20 gallon tank. They are genetically modified zebra danios, and are very active swimmers.

The inch per gallon rule really only applies to smaller species of fish. However, even then it is still outdated, and doesn't take into account things such as waste production, aggression and minimum size requirements.

Realised I read the OP wrong. I didn't see they were Glowlight Tetras not Glofish. I still wouldn't recommend keeping schooling fish in any less than a 10 gallon tank.

Last edited by LittleBettaFish; 10-11-2011 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Changing info
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:07 PM   #8 
PatrickFish

This is an issue that will go on forever with these huge pet store chains. I like to give my business to smaller, privately owned stores more so than large stores. I find you get a better product that is backed by even better knowledge. The store I deal with, is owned and operated by the owner and his daughter. He has 25 + years of experience, which goes way further than a teenager working at pet co part time.
PatrickFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:11 PM   #9 
Okami

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickFish View Post
This is an issue that will go on forever with these huge pet store chains. I like to give my business to smaller, privately owned stores more so than large stores. I find you get a better product that is backed by even better knowledge. The store I deal with, is owned and operated by the owner and his daughter. He has 25 + years of experience, which goes way further than a teenager working at pet co part time.

Keep giving this man your buisness then :)
Okami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:34 PM   #10 
adamxaotmic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tf1265 View Post
*SNIP*

That being said - glowlight tetras are very active shoaling fish. They should be kept in groups of at least 6 in tanks minimum of 10 gallons, at least for optimal care. 4 in a 5 gallon is the equivalent of a betta in a 1 gallon - yes, they'll live a while, no it's not really "good" for them.

*SNIP*
At the time I didn't know anything about Glolights, or Zebras for that matter. I asked her how many I would need and she said I could get away with having 3 of them. So I guess that's another mistake on her part.
I have since then re-homed the tetras (after I learned how much space they need, etc) to a guy via Craigslist. I think he has them in a 20gal or 29gal with some other types of tetras.

I just with there was something we could do to inform people that Bettas do not prefer small spaces. But Petstores prefer to sell little novelty tanks to make a quick buck, and sell it off as "this is what the fish needs".
adamxaotmic is offline   Reply With Quote