Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-18-2011, 09:27 PM   #1 
PrettyLittleLiar

New Betta, 4th Attempt

Hi All,

This is a lot to read, so consider this a warning!

I am desperate for some betta expertise. I have started this lovely adventure of keeping a betta in the beginning of October. (Literally Oct. 1). When I got my betta, the PetSmart employee may have overlooked mentioning that I need a water conditioner. I'm sorry, I may be upsetting people that I didn't do research beforehand. I do apologize a great deal for this. Anyways, I brought him back to exchange my dead fish for a live one, this time buying a water conditioner along with it.

Long story short, I had this second fish (named Aqua) but after I went away for the Thanksgiving longweekend (I'm Canadian =)...) he looked unwell. Slightly bloated, frail looking, and slight fin rot. I did change most of his water before I left, and have only been gone a couple days. I panicked brought him in for an exchange last Thursday, and brought home yet another betta.

This one didn't last long. I named him Spike. He may have had Velvet but it was really hard to say. He died sometime last night/this morning.

This time I smartened up and went to a different pet store to buy a betta fish. I noticed that this new store I visited kept their bettas in cleaner water (no icky, chunky stuff floating around.) He also had a little bit of a bubble nest going on. And I really liked his colour.

OK, so more on what I'm doing with this fish. I am still currently trying to acclimate him to his new bowl. Getting really distracted, so it's more lengthy than I wanted it to be. But he is going to be kept in a 2 gallon bowl, with a heater & thermometer, and a couple of plastic plants (I want to get rid of 1 because I heard that the spikes on it may not be good for betta fins?). I intend on changing 25% of his water every other day, with a 50% water change mid-month, and a 100 % water change at the end of each month. I also plan on using a siphon to fish out any fish poop. (Keep in mind the store where I bought my most recent fish told me to change the 50% of the water every week or every 2 weeks)

Now, here comes me asking for suggestions. Is my water change plan good enough? Should I be doing more? Also, the lady helping me today told me to feed him a pellet every day. I heard another employee suggesting a pellet every other day. One last question, does his tail look like he's got fin rot? It looks even to me, like it's not rotting, that it may be his natural colouring but I'm not sure.

OH! Forgot to mention, my new fish's name is Smoky Bee. Any help determing what type betta he is? Veil tail, I'm thinking

Thanks for your time in reading this. I greatly appreciate any help you can give.
Attached Images

PrettyLittleLiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:34 PM   #2 
Laki

Congrats on your new fish. This place is real helpful :)

Feed him a couple pellets every day. And get some frozen bloodworms, feed those twice a week. Some people fast their fish once a week, I did that for a while with my VT but caved in to his sad face! Now I feed him smaller meals every day.

With warm water, he should perk up in no time.
With a 2 gal I would change 50% water once a week and a full 100% once a week. So make a schedule, Mon-Tues-Wed(CLEAN 50%)-Thrs-Fri-Sat(CLEAN 100%). Or something. Whatever works.

Forgot to mention, for plastic plants... Get a piece of pantyhose, rub the edges of the plant along the pantyhose. If it hitches once DON'T use it in an aquarium. Live plants and silk plants are recommended.

Edit #2.. Looking at the iridescence on his body I'm making a wide guess that you might have a Mustard Gas betta on your hands. In which case, *jaw drop* LUCKY!!! His body might turn blue with appropriate conditions and his tail will remain yellow. MY dream fish!!!!

Last edited by Laki; 10-18-2011 at 09:37 PM.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:38 PM   #3 
Silverfang

I concur with Laki's assessment. Also, I don't think it's rot, it looks like he might have some mustard gas colouration (just how we refer to that colour pattern).

Just watch incase his fins start to shrink or the black line grows.

PS there are a few of us from the cold north :)
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:00 PM   #4 
Banicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyLittleLiar View Post
Hi All,

This is a lot to read, so consider this a warning!

I am desperate for some betta expertise. I have started this lovely adventure of keeping a betta in the beginning of October. (Literally Oct. 1). When I got my betta, the PetSmart employee may have overlooked mentioning that I need a water conditioner. I'm sorry, I may be upsetting people that I didn't do research beforehand. I do apologize a great deal for this. Anyways, I brought him back to exchange my dead fish for a live one, this time buying a water conditioner along with it.

Long story short, I had this second fish (named Aqua) but after I went away for the Thanksgiving longweekend (I'm Canadian =)...) he looked unwell. Slightly bloated, frail looking, and slight fin rot. I did change most of his water before I left, and have only been gone a couple days. I panicked brought him in for an exchange last Thursday, and brought home yet another betta.

This one didn't last long. I named him Spike. He may have had Velvet but it was really hard to say. He died sometime last night/this morning.

This time I smartened up and went to a different pet store to buy a betta fish. I noticed that this new store I visited kept their bettas in cleaner water (no icky, chunky stuff floating around.) He also had a little bit of a bubble nest going on. And I really liked his colour.

OK, so more on what I'm doing with this fish. I am still currently trying to acclimate him to his new bowl. Getting really distracted, so it's more lengthy than I wanted it to be. But he is going to be kept in a 2 gallon bowl, with a heater & thermometer, and a couple of plastic plants (I want to get rid of 1 because I heard that the spikes on it may not be good for betta fins?). I intend on changing 25% of his water every other day, with a 50% water change mid-month, and a 100 % water change at the end of each month. I also plan on using a siphon to fish out any fish poop. (Keep in mind the store where I bought my most recent fish told me to change the 50% of the water every week or every 2 weeks)

Now, here comes me asking for suggestions. Is my water change plan good enough? Should I be doing more? Also, the lady helping me today told me to feed him a pellet every day. I heard another employee suggesting a pellet every other day. One last question, does his tail look like he's got fin rot? It looks even to me, like it's not rotting, that it may be his natural colouring but I'm not sure.

OH! Forgot to mention, my new fish's name is Smoky Bee. Any help determing what type betta he is? Veil tail, I'm thinking

Thanks for your time in reading this. I greatly appreciate any help you can give.
Welcome PrettyLittleLiar!

You’re new little guy is very beautiful. He is a Veiltail Mustard Gas by the looks of it. He also has finrot – don’t worry, it’s treatable. Let’s begin.

Obviously the biggest purchase for you is water conditioner – many members here recommend Seachem Prime or API Stress Coat+, I personally use Stress Coat+, this will aid in healing finrot as well as keep him healthy and the water conditioned.

Your setup sounds good, but be careful with the plastic plants. Bettas fins are like pantyhose, if they snag on sharp edges they can tear. It may be prudent to exchange the plastic plants for silk ones, if possible.

In regards to your standard water changes, as Laki has stated, for a 2g tank you will want to undertake a 50% mid-week, 100% end-week. Disregard the advice or procedures that pet stores undertake or advise, most of the time they are wrong in regards to Bettas.

Now at the moment your guy has finrot, (see the black edges along his fin). This will need to be treated using AQ salt and clean water. When you can, purchase some AQ salt – this is the medicine to eliminate finrot. You will need to dose 1tsp/g (so 2 tsp), at the end of the day change 100% of the water, Then redose with 2tsp again. You will need to do this daily until it clears up – 100% water change and redose with 2 tsp AQ salt. If the finrot shows to no sign of improvement after 4 days, you can increase the dosage to 2tsp/g (so 4tsp for your tank) – if after another 4 days there are still no signs of improvement please let us know. Once this clears up, you can go back to your 50% mid-week, 100% end-week water changes.

You are able to feed him in the meantime, what pellets do you have to feed him? As a general rule their stomachs are as big as their eyes – and it is best to space out meals like you would for yourself. So breakfast, lunch and dinner. But if like me you’re not at home for lunch, breakfast and dinner will suffice. 2-3 pellets per meal (4-6 total per day) is the general rule and depends on how active your guy is and how big or small the pellets are.

Hope this helps, if you have any further questions, feel free to ask away here!
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:02 PM   #5 
PrettyLittleLiar

Thanks for the help! I'll get to the plastic plants, they are already removed, just need to be tested with pantyhose. Btw, can anybody tell me how to tell if fake plants are silk ones?

Amazingly the store I went to today had a lot of uniquely coloured bettas (I believe they were all veil tails.) This specific betta appealed to me, mostly for colouring (and he seemed to be swimming healthily ). The store was called Pet World. It was in St. Laurent Mall in Ottawa.

As for water conditioner, I'm using Top Fin Betta Water Conditioner and for food I'm using Aqueon Betta Food. The pellets are pretty small, small enough that I have never seen any of the bettas struggling to eat it. Though I have yet to feed Smoky Bee yet, I heard it was best not to feed on their first day in their new environment. Another question... how much water conditioner do I use? I currently follow the guidelines loosely, adding slightly more than recommended. But how can I tell that it's enough.

Last edited by PrettyLittleLiar; 10-18-2011 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Edit
Old 10-18-2011, 10:14 PM   #6 
Banicks

Dose as per label instructions. It won't matter if you overdose :)
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:23 PM   #7 
fleetfish

Very lovely boy you have! I agree with everyone saying that the black on his tail is colour, not to be confused with finrot. Generally you want to use about a quarter to half a capful of water conditioner, it really does go a long way. If you use more it won't hurt your betta.

And yaaaay another Ottawa person! I know exactly the store where you got him from. It's a nicer mall store, for sure. There are also plenty of Petsmarts around and two Big Al's, if you haven't already checked them out :)

Last edited by fleetfish; 10-18-2011 at 10:26 PM. Reason: the dumbs.
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:34 PM   #8 
PrettyLittleLiar

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetfish View Post
Very lovely boy you have! I agree with everyone saying that the black on his tail is colour, not to be confused with finrot. Generally you want to use about a quarter to half a capful of water conditioner, it really does go a long way. If you use more it won't hurt your betta.

And yaaaay another Ottawa person! I know exactly the store where you got him from. It's a nicer mall store, for sure. There are also plenty of Petsmarts around and two Big Al's, if you haven't already checked them out :)

I got my first 3 from PetSmarts along Innes Rd. The bettas are OK, but the people helping didn't seemed to be all that concerned over the health of their bettas. I have yet to visit the Big Al's in Kanata, but I did pay a small trip to the one in Innes. It was an empty store, so I left, since there were no friendly people to greet me and to answer questions...... Seems to me like I've just been not so good on luck...HAHA

Technically I'm not from Ottawa, I'm from Toronto. I'm here for work temporarily before I go back to school in a couple of months. Still getting to know the area, though I've been here before.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:41 PM   #9 
gbose

Tank Size

PrettyLittleL:

May I suggest you go for a bigger bowl? Still better, a tank, with a filter and a heater? 2G isn't terribly small, but I'd suggest 3 gallons. I have Oscar in a 3G tank, and he seems OK, though I sometimesw wonder if it's big enough.

I know it'll cost a bit more. But if you can afford it, it would be good. If you stay with a 2G, please do frequent water changes. 50% every 2-3 days, 50-90% every week.

Good luck!

GB
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:11 AM   #10 
Silverfang

OH DEAR GOD.
I've been in that store. They have some lovely males, but they don't take good care of their fish. Sorry to say. They had 7 females in a half gallon *shudder*.

Granted their males look alot perkier, especially the halfmoons they had in... so pretty.

Haha, spent 4 months in Ottawa on my co op work term myself. They have a large selection of boys at the one on Innes. Of course bettas are on the bottom of their food chain. Did you see the shark tank? That guy was huuuuuge!

Edit:

In a 2gal two water changes a week is good, one 100% and one 50% change.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote