Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-19-2011, 10:05 AM   #1 
HayrideHaunter

Mild ammonia issues

Hi everyone! I haven't been on in so long. Since I've been gone my dear little Marbles has passed on...I've gotten a DT named Chili Pepper...poor dear fell ill and passed about a month after I got him. Now I have Emanon, and I'm unsure what tail he is but he's gorgeous!

Anyways, Emmy's tail is VERY long and the filter messed it up, so I simply removed it and decided to keep the tank super clean. I have (during my absence) purchased melafix, aquarium salt, a siphon, and live plants. My tank is now a 2gal fully planted tank, no filter...no heater but i have a thermometer and I check frequently, the temp is a pretty steady 80ish degrees.

I keep my plants healthy, taking them out every couple of water changes and removing dead material. I do changes twice a week at least (yay siphon!)...one is around 5% and the other is something like 85%...the siphon is new so I may decide to, every few weeks, go nuts and really scrub everything down and do a 100%.

So anyways, even with daily 50% like I've done the past couple days, I have had a teeny issue with ammonia. I've tested every day (3 days now) and each time the ammonia is up to 0.25...I know thats not a TON but its still there...I was wondering

does anyone have any tips for keeping an unfiltered tank freer of ammonia than this? it IS 2gal, but it seems removing the use of a filter has made the ammonia remain more than with it in use.

Side note: I've had this guy for a week and a half...he's healthy! His tail is growing back very quickly from the filter accident and he has even made two good sized bubblenests =)
HayrideHaunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:21 AM   #2 
Micho

Might want to test your tap water for ammonia, that might be why your ammonia levels might be so high, if that's the problem try to find a water conditioner that removes ammonia or buy some R/O water.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:22 AM   #3 
HayrideHaunter

Hmmm...I'll do that...good idea. I DO filter the water with a brita filter...but I'll test both. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 10-19-2011, 10:29 AM   #4 
Micho

You shouldn't filter the water for fish, tap water + water vondtipnee is good enough. By filtering your water you're removing the minerals that are beneficial to fish. . Just filtering with a Brita filter doesn't remove chlorine either, hope you're using water conditioner.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:10 AM   #5 
HayrideHaunter

I am...i have Aqueon betta bowl plus.

On filtering: really? i never knew that...im so afraid of using the tap water here though...its really hard water >.<...

the ammonia of my tap is slightly less than the test i did on the bowl today. Guess I gotta get additives that remove ammonia?
Old 10-26-2011, 06:32 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Welcome back!!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:57 PM   #7 
Kytkattin

I felt the same way about the water I have here, but since I use Prime, all 3 of my fish have had no problems with the nasty water. It would be your best bet if you have to get a new conditioner.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:18 PM   #8 
pieleld

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayrideHaunter View Post
I am...i have Aqueon betta bowl plus.

On filtering: really? i never knew that...im so afraid of using the tap water here though...its really hard water >.<...

the ammonia of my tap is slightly less than the test i did on the bowl today. Guess I gotta get additives that remove ammonia?
Aqueon Betta Bowl plus is what I use. It does claim to remove ammonia in water. What I would do in your case is do a 100% water change in the morning, add the right amount of your conditioner too. Do an ammonia test after about an hour or so, and do another one later that night. The results should tell you if something is wrong. What are your feeding habits and with what type of food? I have a one gallon tank by aqueon, filtered, and ammonia started to show up on the 4th day, therefore I will be doing 100% water changes every 3 days with a siphon.
pieleld is offline   Reply With Quote