Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-11-2011, 12:08 PM   #1 
TielBird101

Ripped Fin HELP!

Before I could replace the plastic plants in my betta's tank yesterday he ripped his tail fin. :( I read that I should make more frequent water changes so it won't get infected. Is there anything else I can do for him? I feel like a terrible fish owner! My first fish and I make him rip his fin. :(
TielBird101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:41 PM   #2 
Myates

Oh hush! It happens to everyone, don't beat yourself up over it hun.. I know how you feel though, all that work to get him and this happens. But it's only a split fin and I believe you will do the right thing so it will heal quickly and smoothly. You didn't know about those plants when you got them, I didn't know either until I had one that was connected with a cave I got and it ripped one of my boy's fins twice before I realized what plant and I cut it off.

Yes, stay on top of the water changes. Do your regular ones, you can add in another 50% during the week if you wish for a week or two to keep it a little cleaner. To help it heal a little faster if you have Stress Coat, you can add in a few drops of that to promote the regrowth. Otherwise, just clean water will work.

Is it a small split or is it large? Usually splits fuse back pretty quickly, it's when it's missing a chunk that it take a little longer to grow back.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:46 PM   #3 
Littlebittyfish

My fish ripped his fin on the same plant. I usually just do an extra water change and let the fins heal up on their own.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:11 PM   #4 
cajunamy
Banned

Clean water, garlic guard in their food, vita-chem added to the water, raise the heat a degree or two, and lots of protein are all ways that I know of to help fin re-growth.
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 03:38 PM   #5 
TielBird101

It's a large rip. But thanks to your help, It's healing VERY fast! It's almost healed halfway now! ^.^ THANK YOU!!!!!

Also this morning I noticed some small red dots on the tips of his fins. Is this normal? Or is it the beginning of fin rot?

Last edited by dramaqueen; 11-03-2011 at 11:47 AM.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:59 PM   #6 
TielBird101

Took care of the fin rot but today he ripped his fin AGAIN! :( And I can't put AQ salt in his tank cuz it'll kill the Anubias. Is there any other way to help him?
Old 10-26-2011, 11:27 PM   #7 
pieleld

Quote:
Originally Posted by TielBird101 View Post
Took care of the fin rot but today he ripped his fin AGAIN! :( And I can't put AQ salt in his tank cuz it'll kill the Anubias. Is there any other way to help him?
My VT ripped his fin one day on a spiky plant and it completely healed within 3 days. I just did a water change, added some conditioner, and fed him regularly. No worries, it happens. Gotta get safe plants :)
pieleld is offline   Reply With Quote