Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-11-2011, 10:39 AM   #1 
tsukiowns

Unhappy whats up with his tail? help plz

ok so this morning at 11am when i woke up i noticed my boy had his tail shreded in the upper part... idk if its fin rot or tail bitting or if he cought it on the decore.... can some one help me out here is a picture he only has
it in that part no other part shows any signs

tsukiowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:57 AM   #2 
SnowySurface

The edges of the fin isn't black, so it's not fin rot. I would guess the fin was damaged by decore, a filter, or biting. I only see plants in the picture so I don't know what part of your decore you are worried about. You can test ornaments but dragging sheer stockings across it. If the stockings rip, then it was probably the decore. You can take out anything too sharp for stockings and see if the fin damage keeps happening. If the damage does continue, it could be tail biting or filter damage.

It's hard to pin point one exact reason for tail damage unless you see it happen. For all I know he started tail biting because something in his tank upset him. Like, "I hate that cave decore! <bite tail>," or something like that. Since you just noticed the damage, it may take awhile to figure out what really happened to his tail.
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:16 AM   #3 
tsukiowns

yeah i have a ZEn garden decore from my previous tank (also damaged my other betta's tail) but sincethis tank was bigger my tsuki does not play around it to much and likes to go between the plants instead.... now that u mention it i did up the filter power a tad so he hid by the filter pump i think that may have snaged it some what (it has a rough sponge) but this was the first time he has done that so i got worried... thank for the imput though i greatly appreciated
Old 10-11-2011, 12:29 PM   #4 
Myates

They look like a nipped fin.. there is a half moon edging to it, which usually when split doesn't happen like that. He could of started nipping his fins due to an increase in the water current, as bettas like little to no current from the filter.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:32 PM   #5 
tsukiowns

yeah he is a delta or super delta.... either or... yeah i raised the filter so it cycled the new water from the water change but it usually stays at a very low current sometimes it looks like no current lol... i left it a little above min and left to class so i forgot to turn it down lol.. so u think it could be nipping not tear?
Old 10-11-2011, 12:36 PM   #6 
Myates

It could be either or.. but if you see a U shape to it, then I would suspect nipping since that is the shape of their mouths. A tear would be splitting something, making it more like a V shape I would assume.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote