Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-10-2011, 02:13 PM   #1 
Vera

Tank Temps

I got a rescued betta during the summer. He was fine and even adapting to cooler temps at nite. I usually do a complete water change when I clean his tank. Last week I got another betta & put it in a bowl INSIDE his tank for company. In the morning both fish were dead! They didn't seem stressed. Got ANOTHER betta, after changing water, and he was dead within the hour. I bought a mini heater (my tank is about 2 gallons) but it seems useless. I use reverse osmosis water I make for my salt water tank so it's cold from sitting in buckets. Am I better off using warm tap water & putting conditioner in it? Also, should I be doing a COMPLETE water change? Never had a problem all these months, but then, it was summer. Now the nights are getting chilly. Tyson was my 1st & I really miss him. :( thanx! Vera
Vera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:20 PM   #2 
Banicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vera View Post
I got a rescued betta during the summer. He was fine and even adapting to cooler temps at nite. I usually do a complete water change when I clean his tank. Last week I got another betta & put it in a bowl INSIDE his tank for company. In the morning both fish were dead! They didn't seem stressed. Got ANOTHER betta, after changing water, and he was dead within the hour. I bought a mini heater (my tank is about 2 gallons) but it seems useless. I use reverse osmosis water I make for my salt water tank so it's cold from sitting in buckets. Am I better off using warm tap water & putting conditioner in it? Also, should I be doing a COMPLETE water change? Never had a problem all these months, but then, it was summer. Now the nights are getting chilly. Tyson was my 1st & I really miss him. :( thanx! Vera
To simplify I’m going to name the Betta’s. Alpha (1st), Bravo (2nd) and Charlie (3rd).

I wanted to clarify something. You purchased Bravo and placed it inside Alpha’s tank? Male Betta’s will fight and die if in the same water as each other. If you have 2 Bettas both will require their own separate tanks.

Charlie may have passed because of conditions at the pet store or an existing disease. It is also possible that the Bravo had a disease that killed Alpha if they didn’t fight. This disease may have lingered in the tank and killed Charlie.

I would recommend purchasing an internal suction thermometer to properly measure the water temperature, it may be too hot or too cold. Without the thermometer, we won’t know how effective your mini heater is.

Depending on what the levels of your tap water is (ammonia & pH), you may find it easier to use tap water and add conditioner. I am unfamiliar with osmosis water and Bettas, so someone with experience may comment to assist.

For the water change questions, are you using a filter at all?
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:40 PM   #3 
Myates

Welcome to the forums, sorry for your loss.
You mentioned you put the bowl in the tank.. question, how big is the tank and bowl that you put the bowl into the tank? And was the top of the bowl out in the opening where he could get air?

As for the water, unsure about that process, but bettas do better and pretty much need tap water with the proper water conditioner/dechlorinator added in. Anything filtered will lack the proper minerals and nutrients in the water that is needed.

Since you have a salt water tank, I am assuming that you know how to acclimate the bettas (floating in their cups for 20-30ish minutes, taking out water from the cup and adding in tank water every so often?
Is the water you are using cold? You said you got a heater, and the preset heaters sometimes don't work all that well. Big fluxes in temps can cause them to go into shock.

For a 2 gal unfiltered it is 1 50% and 1 100% water change per week with the full dose of water conditioner for the partial changes. For a filtered 2 gal, 1 50% water only, and 1 50% substrate cleaning per week.

Other then that.. I honestly can't think of anything more with the info you gave us, I'm sorry.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:13 PM   #4 
Vera

Yes, they weren't the in the tank TOGETHER, they could just see each other. And yes, he had access to air; bowl was above other tank. I don't have a filter. I think it was the cold water. We make the water and it sits in buckets and now that it's getting chilly at nite (50-60) the water was cold. I tried to heat up container with a mini heater but didn't do anything. When 3rd one started to die I put container in sun to warm but it was already too late. I think now I will try warm tap water (mine is not filtered) and a conditioner. I'm in NY so house can get pretty chilly at nite. Thanx for all the info.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:38 PM   #5 
Banicks

Definitely worthwhile to get a thermometer to accurately tell what the water temperature is.

It may also indicate that the heater is faulty, so you may require a new one :)

Hope it all works out!
Old 10-11-2011, 06:07 AM   #6 
Vera

the heater is for a 2.5 gallon tank & up. i've read that the mini heaters only up the temp 5-10 degrees. it's a round disc & the center was warm. maybe good to maintain water if it's already warm but not to warm up cold water? also, i was doing a COMPLETE water change every 1-1/2 weeks. Is that o.k.?
Old 10-11-2011, 07:22 AM   #7 
GreenTea

Hi and welcome to the forum. Since no one has mentioned this I'll add that bettas need temps between 74-82 to keep their immune system tip top, and for a 2 gallon tank you should do 2 water changes a week. One 50% water change, and one 100% water change where you rinse the decor etc. I hope you decide to try again with better luck.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:09 PM   #8 
Banicks

I use a mini heater as well in my QT tank mainly because of size. Unforunately it does cause an unregulated increase of 5 degrees above room temperature. This can't be changed, so it is important to monitor with the use of an internal suction thermometer.

Smaller tanks are difficult to heat, in theory you could purchase an adjustable low watt heater. I believe the smallest is a 20w or 25w adjustable heater, but whether they would fit into your tanks is another thing.

I tested a 100w heater I inherited in a 7g tank, worked quite well because it turned itself off once it reached the predetermined temperature. 100w are generally used for 20g tanks I believe, so the theory should be sound.

Tags
vera