Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-11-2011, 06:03 PM   #1 
MoneyFish

Is this sand ok for an aquarium?

So I will be putting sand in my 29g for the substrate since I will be getting Kuhli loaches and some corys. I found this 50lb of play sand at Lowe's for about $4.00. Can't beat that!!! I'm hoping it will be ok in my tank? Lots of rinsing first, right? Thanks!
Attached Images

MoneyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:12 PM   #2 
Sea Turtles

I've seen others mention they use play sand.
I just wanted to emphasis the rinsing :) I learned this the hard way: Rinse til your done, then keep going :D
Sea Turtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:12 PM   #3 
PatrickFish

I use the same sand in all of my aquariums. Rinsing is key, trust me haha. I did it by putting so much in a bucket and flushing it with a hose 3-4 times until the water got clearer. Good deal by the way, I think I paid close to $8.
PatrickFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:14 PM   #4 
Okami

Sand in my tank was cultured sand for fresh water tanks. Ver much like how they sell cultured sand for Salt Water tanks. Helps the Cycle process.

But yeah rinse that till you cant rinse no more! lol
Okami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:28 PM   #5 
MoneyFish

Awesome, thanks!!

Also, do you absolutely need organic soil on the bottom of the tank (capped with the sand) if you want to plant live plants? Or can they just be tucked in the sand held with plant weights?
Old 10-11-2011, 06:31 PM   #6 
PatrickFish

They will be fine with just sand, the organic soil just gives them a little more "omph". I run one of my tanks with just sand, and it looks just as good as my "dirted" tank.
PatrickFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:08 PM   #7 
Princess Penny

Yeah you don't HAVE to have soil underneath, but it does help if you don't plan on using any other fertilizers. It depends on the plants you want to use, but you will probably want to get root tabs and/or liquid fertilizer.

I need to check out Lowe's! What a great deal. I need sand for my 3 gallon critter keeper, as well as another completely non-fish related project and that bag looks perfect! :)
Princess Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:14 PM   #8 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyFish View Post
Awesome, thanks!!

Also, do you absolutely need organic soil on the bottom of the tank (capped with the sand) if you want to plant live plants? Or can they just be tucked in the sand held with plant weights?
You dont need soil, but if you have root feeding plants you may want to pick up some root tabs. Also, you will want to stir the sand once a week or every other week to prevent it from compacting.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:15 PM   #9 
Okami

The soil is pretty much optional. I mysalf am afraid to use it lol. So I use aquarium biologicly treated clay
Okami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:56 PM   #10 
MoneyFish

Thank you all for the advice, it is very helpful!! Think I will just stick with the sand for now and some easy plants. It will be my first ever real plant tank and I want to make it as uncomplicated as possible!