Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-11-2011, 07:04 PM   #1 
Anitax3x

Exclamation Help!!! Tail biting !!!

so I got this male betta, he's been blowing bubble nests, the whole shbeil. well lately his tail is a COMPLETE TRAIN WRECK. He is biting it and destroying it. He's an over halfmoon, and ever since he was shipped to me, he is my one and only tail biter. I took him out of his section in my 10 gal divided (between 3 males, he was on the end) he is now alone, in my bathroom tank, heated and filtered. And its only gotten worse! please please PLEASE hit me with any and ALL possible fixes, he's a beautiful male but no one can see that simply because, HE BITES THE WHOLE THING OFF!
wellp yeah I'm frustrated, BTW

He is currently housed in a 2.5 gal, heated, filtered, with 1 gal /1tsp aq salt (started saturday)
he is fed 4 pellets every morning
his substrate is white sand.
he gets 50 % water changes once a week
no fin rot
just severe tail biting
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:27 PM   #2 
purplemuffin

Does he have good hiding places? Sometimes they can just get stressed out! Give him a lot of plants to hide in! :)
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:52 PM   #3 
Anitax3x

hmm I could do a better job with that, thanks!
Old 10-11-2011, 08:53 PM   #4 
purplemuffin

Also, make sure the filter isn't too strong. Does it look like your fish gets knocked around by the filter? Sometimes bettas will bite if they feel their big fins are making them unable to swim properly.
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:48 PM   #5 
Myates

Half moons and over half moons are notorious for fin biting due to the size of their fins and how they drag.
You should be doing daily 100% water change if you have him in salt.. but if he has no rot, then don't use salt. Salt can harm a fish if a fish is in it for prolonged use.. as well as the bacteria and the fish itself could easily become immune to the beneficial properties of the salt treatment when it is used too much/unnecessarily so when it is needed, it won't work nearly as well, if at all.
AQ salt won't stop him from biting his fins. It can actually hamper the growth.

Best to just up the water changes a bit each week to keep it clean, stress coat to promote fin regrowth and to keep the filter on the lowest setting/baffled so there is no current, which is worse for the larger fin types.

And all that purple mentioned =)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:36 PM   #6 
Anitax3x

I did the aq salt just to help keep him from getting fin rot, I am going to change the water out and the filter doesnt run all day. It is a really soft current as it is. Thanks guys for the advice hopefully I see improvements!
Old 10-12-2011, 08:41 AM   #7 
Myates

Just doing water changes is the best preventative without putting your fish into potential harm with the salt.
Another thing.. don't turn your filter on and off.. that will cause more then just rot. Whenever you turn your filter off, all the good bacteria needed dies... and when you turn it back on, it's pushed into the tank making the chemistry harmful. And then it will have to cycle to reestablish itself which in turn can cause deadly spikes in ammonia and such.. I would suggest either keeping it on, or off, but not both.

With salt you will always want to do daily 100% water changes if you do wish to continue.. and don't continue for longer then 10 days. Good luck!
Old 10-12-2011, 09:16 AM   #8 
Anitax3x

Thanks I did not know that! Good thing I left it on today lol. Well I have a live plant in there I think anubias or something I just know it's a plant that floats and I was told needs little light and fertilizer isn't necessary. I just have class today so after I'll be doing another water change and the good thing is he's eating and has colored up more since I pit the plant in, it has big leaves and makes a great hiding place ! Thanks for letting me know all of this! I hope his tail gets better!
Old 10-12-2011, 09:33 AM   #9 
Myates

You're welcome, and it will =)
Old 10-12-2011, 12:43 PM   #10 
HarlequinBBRM

I float a ping pong ball to help keep my tail biter entertained. Mine only started doing it when I came to school and he is in a smaller (2 gallon) tank compared to his 5 gallon at home. If you can find what triggers it (light, high traffic, noise etc.) and eliminate it or reduce it, it will help. However you may just be stuck with a chronic biter and it will just have to be something you will have to live with.

As long as you keep him healthy otherwise, he will be fine, just looking a little weird.
HarlequinBBRM is offline   Reply With Quote