Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-26-2011, 12:18 AM   #1 
laughing

Anyone here have Sugar Gliders?

I've been looking at purchasing them for over a year now. With some extra funds for up-front costs, I'm hoping to take the plunge and get me some little monsters within a few months! (Christmas present? )

I'm building my own cage which I'm incredibly excited about, and working on some patterns for cage items!

Anyone here have them?
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:20 AM   #2 
purplemuffin

I know someone who had some that he got as adults...untame adults. O_O

Make sure yours is tame, oh god. Horrifying noises. And bleeding everywhere.

But I also know someone who has a little sweetie who is an angel!

XD Good luck!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:56 AM   #3 
laughing

Yep! My first 2 will be little joeys so the bonding process goes easier. I'm in touch with a rescue, and they know I'm a beginner with handling/training them, so I'm sure if they let me have one, it'll be a tame one! (:

I've seen some vicious gliders... it's what happens when you leave them in a cage their entire lives and just toss in food! Poor little fellas!
Old 10-26-2011, 11:17 AM   #4 
purplemuffin

Yeah, that's definitely what happened.

See, he sort of runs a rescue and generally rescues birds. He finds people on craigslist who are selling clearly mistreated animals and talks them out of selling them to others who would not know how to take care of the animal and into letting him take over their care to save them. Sometimes if they are in dire need of money(thus how the animal got mistreated) he will still try to give them something, but in general he just rescues them.

He usually saves birds, which also can turn wild if left alone, but are intelligent enough to even get docile again when they realize they are being loved. But boy those sugar gliders sure didn't ever get docile! He took care of them the rest of their lives and now they have passed on he has their baby(they were a pair, one of them came to him pregnant) and the baby is MUCH less vicious! :) That one won't be left alone like those parents were, he's got a good home now.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:19 PM   #5 
laughing

That's the trouble with gliders... if they aren't properly socialized with people when they're just out of the pouch and are left, then they will act "wild" and will be very feral. If you want them to be loving and bond, you have to spend a LOT of time with them. Like you'll need to carry them in a bonding pouch with you all day, place things that smell like you in the cage, don't invade their space but handle them a lot (3 hours a day plus generally) and put in a LOT of effort. Most people just don't have that ability, so the gliders stay feral.

I have a LPS that has them, but I don't know how young they are, where they're from, etc.. So this weekend when I pick up my ADFs I plan on asking them. If not, I've looking at the craigslist/rescues/breeders/etc as back up!(:

Birds get sooo bad when left unattended. I got a parakeet that was found in my school's play yard (elementary school) and that thing was much more vicious than my store bought parakeets! I hear ferrets get pretty bad, too.

Are reptiles like that?
Old 10-26-2011, 02:27 PM   #6 
purplemuffin

Depends on the reptile and how it's treated. With snakes honestly it just takes them getting used to being held again. Very few reptiles are vicious or aggressive, just highly defensive. So just daily handling and they will be 'tame' and used to you within a few weeks, depending on the personality. Some are tame even if you never hold them in their whole lives(most ball pythons), some you can hold all the time and they just will always be nervous!

For instance, we stopped playing with our leopard geckos for a while, stuff got in the way, we had sick animals, etc. They were fed, but we didn't maintain tameness. They got really skittish(think the scared lizards you see outside of a house), but after a week of getting them back into handling they were cuddly and calm again :)

Reptiles don't need the attention, their brains don't function like other animals--they don't get sad, they are just happy if they are warm, clean, and well fed.

A snake that was treated as aggressive(taped mouth, jerked around, maybe even beaten) will become aggressive and need very special care often times. Sometimes they can recover from the trauma, sometimes they just have to be special pets!
Old 10-26-2011, 03:26 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

They are noisy little buggers especially at night.......if you are a night owl they are great to have...but if you want to sleep at night or have kids.....they can sometimes keep you up all night from all the noise they make...unless you are going to keep them in a sound proof room or detached room...
We have them wild in my area and even outside in the woods you can hear them in the house when the windows are open...

Awesome little critter.....so soft to touch and pretty to look at....

Check this out...you may have already seen these...but it is great info to add to your research....
http://asgv.org/pet_owners/new_owner.php

http://www.mynasga.org/

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 10-26-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:42 PM   #8 
Banicks

Yes, we have sugar gliders down here. Possums too and drop bears!

Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:09 PM   #9 
laughing

PurpleMuffin- Aww that's sad! Poor snakes! That's what I like about reptiles is they don't need the attention for survival/well being.

OFL- I am a night owl! I fall asleep at midnight to 1am generally and up at 6-7. No problems there! I don't find their noises obnoxious at all, either. I'm a decently heavy sleeper, too. So just remove any bell toys and I can live with their noises and thuds all night!

That's crazy you guys have them wild!
Old 10-26-2011, 10:27 PM   #10 
Bombalurina

Banicks, don't tease the Americans. :p

We do rather get the fuzzy natives trying to move in with us, though. Like the kangaroos that eat all our grass in the front garden. They're lucky they're cute. :p

Sugar gliders are very cute too...but I think I'll stick to my ratties.
Attached Images

Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote