Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-11-2011, 08:44 PM   #1 
purplemuffin

Rejuvenating plants?

So, I have live plants in my tank, but I've never really been TOO good about caring for them. They are alive, and they aren't dying off, but they don't really look like they are thriving.

I figure while Dionysus is QT'd I have a good time to help spark some new life into the plants.

I'm not sure how to go about this with water plants. What would help give these guys a little extra oomf? I forgot about them too, they had been sitting in the dark water since Dionysus got sick, so I figured I'd take them out and let them sit in a glass or jar in the light for a while. Other than sun, is there anything else that will help? :)
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:57 PM   #2 
Princess Penny

What kind of plants are they? They would most likely benefit from some form of fertilizer (potting soil, sand w/ root tabs, and/or liquid ferts). They would probably also like CO2, or you can get some SeaChem Excel (depending on the plants)... and yes, they NEED light! What kind of light did you have on your tank?
Princess Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:00 PM   #3 
Micho

Make sure your lighting is fit for your tank, for every one gallon of water there should be 2.5watts of light. Also leave your light on for 10 ~ 12 hours per day, you could do less but no less than eight hours unless they are low-light plants.

You can try fertilizers, liquid if you have floaters and plants that are not buried, if you have rooted plants you can try root tabs. But remember to not overdose on fertilizers, they will cause a nitrite & nitrate spike and you don't really want that, it's better to underdose and overdose with fertilizers.

If you're plant is melting (like somewhat actually melting) that means they actually require CO2 in the water. Which means you'll have to buy either CO2 tabs or a fancy CO2 machine.

And that's pretty much it when it comes to keeping plants alive.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:12 PM   #4 
purplemuffin

Hahaha, I'll take them out of the dark tank tomorrow morning and give them some sunlight! I was just so concerned about Dionysus I didn't think about it! We have some kind of bright aquarium light above the tank, and the lights in the room as well as sort of indirect sunlight. I've never used fertilizer, I didn't know what was safe with the fish.

Uhhh the plants. They are beginner plants. Let me look up their names...

A marimo ball, java fern, and an anubias
Old 10-11-2011, 09:12 PM   #5 
Okami

they sell a Co2 dispenser which has you mix water and yeast to ferment and make Co2 and then it disperses into the tank via a Co2 diffuser its the simplest way to introduce Co2 to the tank
Okami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:16 PM   #6 
purplemuffin

So, Dionysus is floating in a smaller tank within the large tank, I've been keeping the light off to keep the stress level down. I was planning to take the plants out and spend this time getting them up to health. They just look a little less vivid and aren't looking so excellent.

I'll look for the fertilizer :)
Old 10-11-2011, 09:17 PM   #7 
Littlebittyfish

marimo ball, java fern, and an anubias are all nice low light plants. They should grow nicely with a 6500k lightbulb which can be found at walmart...They might also benefit from some sort of fert. You can find the aquarium safe kind near the water conditioners in most petstores. :)
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:17 PM   #8 
Princess Penny

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemuffin View Post
A marimo ball, java fern, and an anubias
Those are all very easy, low-light plants. You don't really need ferts, CO2 or anything fancy for them... a little liquid fertilizer wouldn't hurt though. It's perfectly safe for fish as long as you follow the instructions. Otherwise they wouldn't sell it ;)

Your anubias isn't buried, right?

I wouldn't get too strong of a light, otherwise you will have an algae problem. Those don't need much.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:18 PM   #9 
purplemuffin

Awesome. I think they just haven't been getting enough light. It's been rainy lately, so sort of dark. Will probably get the liquid fertilizer to give them a jump start!
Old 10-11-2011, 09:19 PM   #10 
Princess Penny

Those plants don't need much light (they are all considered "low light" plants) so I'm sure they will be fine.