Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-12-2011, 12:06 AM   #1 
erinandares

I did a bad (?) thing.

I was at Wal Mart. My store is horrible to their fish, but this town has nothing in it, so me and my friends go to Wal Mart a lot in the evenings. Anyway, I went back to the fish section because I like looking at the bettas. But there were only four. Two males, two females. And one of the males, a beautiful black, white, and blue marble, was dead. I left them a note and got a wet paper towel and took their other betta and left the cup there.

He lived, since my house is literally two minutes away from Wal Mart (otherwise I wouldn't even have done it). And I put him in my spare bowl. He still has the stress stripe. But he's alive and swimming around and checking everything out. I don't know if I can get banned from here for this (I would be sad), but I meant only the best. I felt I had to confess, though. And has anyone else ever done anything like this?
erinandares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:34 AM   #2 
hermeh

That was not a great idea... At least you got him out of the store. Don't do that again. I hope he lives. You should have just bought him.
hermeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:43 AM   #3 
purplemuffin

I can understand why you wouldn't want to buy from a place that doesn't take care of their fish(giving them money just encourages them to buy more to replace the old ones, and they get them so cheap that selling 1 betta could buy them 10 more)

But that was really dangerous. I'm glad he made it, and I hope he lives through this, but I would definitely suggest not doing that again! I would instead next time talk to the store owner about the care of the fish. often times they will give the sick fish away for free since they know they will probably die anyway and won't be sold cause they look sick. That's how I would 'rescue' a betta from a petstore.
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:00 AM   #4 
erinandares

Yeah... :/ I think if there was any other thing to do, I would have, but I didn't want to get ripped up and down for supporting their cruelty, blah blah blah, either. I suppose either way, I lose. But the betta is still allright. It's been a good four hours by now. The stress stripe is gone. Ugh, curse my impulsiveness. ))))):

Ah, muffin, I almost missed your post. I think you're right. That would probably have been a much better idea. But... I acted on impulse. I was panicking for a while because I felt terrible about it. But... He seems allright for now. He gets special attention now because of how bad I felt. But... Ehhh...... :/ I have to say I would have expected some more harsh words, because I had plenty of them for myself in my own head during this... incident. I just felt so sad seeing that poor marble. Ugh. Emotions, why you no be objective??? D:
Old 10-12-2011, 01:04 AM   #5 
tsoto80

Did your note say that you stole the fish?
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:08 AM   #6 
erinandares

No. It said something along the lines of their fish section being deplorable and that the poor marble deserved better. No profanity or anything, just something I scribbled down on a small notebook paper and left for them to find.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:19 AM   #7 
tsoto80

That doesnt make what you did okay though.

If my kids ever stole anything from a store I would make them take it back.
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:28 AM   #8 
purplemuffin

Of course, stealing is stealing, but this is a living animal who was in bad conditions before the move. I wouldn't steal a fish, but if faced with the situation I wouldn't take a betta back to a store where you know it will only meet a terrible fate either. I don't think it was right, but I don't know if I would return it and purposefully put it back in that situation. It's a tough spot to be in for sure.

Just..don't make a habit of it! @_@
Old 10-12-2011, 01:29 AM   #9 
erinandares

Yeah... I've never stolen before in my life. It isn't a habitual thing. And I do NOT plan on doing it again. I understand what you're saying, though, and I respect that you're raising your kids to be honest. I know it was a wrong thing to do, and I'm normally not the type to do anything like that.

And muffin, I don't plan on returning the fish. Nor do I plan on stealing any others. Ugh. I feel like a criminal for this one. But I'm gonna put it behind me and just give the fish a good home.

Last edited by erinandares; 10-12-2011 at 01:31 AM. Reason: missed a pooooooost
Old 10-12-2011, 01:41 AM   #10 
purplemuffin

I can tell you're already beating yourself up about it. Things happen, we act impulsively, we make mistakes. Mistakes we know never to repeat!

Though........LOL, all I can think of now is that fish needs to be named Heist or after a famous thief/bank robber. Butch Cassidy, Jesse James.. It fits. Or named after a stolen piece of art.

I can't help it, it fits the situation!

Tags
bad thing, good thing, panicking, stolen betta