Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-12-2011, 12:28 AM   #1 
Bloeduwedd

Question Overweight bettas?

So I'm tired of my sorority girls in my 20 gallon being such pigs. They're extremely fat (pretty sure unhealthily so) and fasting doesn't seem to help much. Since they're in a community tank, I'm scared to fast them for more than a day like I would like to. I have 8 (at last count, they're hard to count because they never sit still!) neon tetras, 6 platies, 6 cory cats, and the 7 girls, with a snail and about four ghost shrimp for a clean up crew. I know that's a lot in a 20 gallon, but I have two filters running and do 50% changes twice a week, and everyone is healthy and happy, save that my girls are extremely fat. They're not having any swim bladder problems. I was wondering if 1: I could fast for more than a day with the variety of other fish in the tank and, if not 2: Is there a more effective way of individually fasting my girls than cupping them at every feeding? I don't want to stress them unduly :(
Bloeduwedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:33 AM   #2 
Banicks

Hi Bloe,

Out of curiosity, are they bearing eggs? That can make the females look fatter.

You can fast Bettas for up to a week or so without cause for concern when healthy :)
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:56 AM   #3 
Bloeduwedd

I believe one may be egg bound, but I've tried everything I can think of with her... QTing her and fasting, epsom salt treatments, even as a last ditch attempt (since she would poo normally no matter waht) tried to breed her, but none of my males wanted anything to do with her, nor she with them. I'm at my wits end with her. The others, though, I'm pretty sure aren't eggy. I know I can fast bettas for a while, which is what I want to do, but I'm concerned about the other fish in the tank... not so sure how long I can fast them for. They're used to a one day a week fast as it is, but I'm scared to push it with them. I tried cupping my girls when I fed the other fish, but they got so stressed I wasn't willing to continue :/
Old 10-12-2011, 06:46 AM   #4 
Myates

What type of food are you feeding them and how much? It could be they just need a simple change in their diet. Some of the fish food are high in fat..
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:08 PM   #5 
cajunamy
Banned

maybe try a mirror or just put her next to a male, although if trying to get her to release by breeding didn't work ... :(
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:12 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

You could try feeding live foods... or frozen foods... I know. My ladies are pigs too!! Get all fat >< plus I believe 3 are very eggy. And yeah you can fast bettas for a week... as for the other fish, best bet, maybe 3 days fasting I guess would be safe. I make my girls work for their food now >.> lol
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:35 AM   #7 
Bloeduwedd

Sorry it took me so long to reply, I've had a rough few days (lost Princess mysteriously, along with a cory cat, and now lost Toxic to fungus and seem to be losing Fleur too :( )and haven't been on the computer. I'm feeding them TetraMin tropical flakes, Nutrifin Max, frozen bloodworms, and frozen brine shrimp, with the occasional cube of freeze dried tubifex worms as a treat. They get flakes instead of pellets because there are otehr fish in the tank with them.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:36 AM   #8 
Bambi

Hmm, well i know that flakes in general are very good for bettas, but you can't really control that with the other fish in there.

Do you have any pictures? I've never seen a 'fat' betta xD Just eggy or bloated.

sorry to hear abou tyour lossess
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:55 AM   #9 
Silverfang

Here's my "oversized girl" she's the size of a grape
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:53 AM   #10 
Sena Hansler

Awwww sorry for your losses :( And a picture would be nice :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote