Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-08-2011, 08:22 PM   #1 
BellasMomma

Question Am I overfeeding my Betta? 15-20 pellets a day??

So I have a female Betta that ive had now for about a month. The Betta food i have says this exactly "Feed as much as Betta will eat in 3 minutes, 3-4 pellets twice a day." My Betta will eat at least 7 per feeding. I originally fed her 4, twice a day but she would "bob" at the top of the tank till i gave her more. She literally eats 7-10 pellets in about 2 minutes, twice a day. Im totally in love with this fish so i would be devastated if she died! Please help!!
BellasMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:28 PM   #2 
Pitluvs

What type of pellets are you feeding her, brand? My boys get 4 pellets twice a day since mine are smaller sized. Mine beg for more but I refuse them :) Bettas are piggies and they know how to work a person!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:31 PM   #3 
Laki

Betta's can eat forever. I mercilessly watched Lakitu eat like 6 frozen bloodworms the first day I got them and he still wanted more!

I would seriously reduce feeding. My bf likes to add extra food bc "it says on the back to feed as much as he'll eat in 3 minutes"... A betta's stomach is about the size of his eye. You do the math!! :P

Over feeding is the cause of a lot more disease and problems than you might think. A little diet won't kill him and it won't harm his love for you :)

Tidbit (bc I'm a geek) : Did you know, if you destroyed the ventromedial hypothalamus in the brain- a rat will eat and eat and eat and never feel full? They made lab rats into round balls this way. (can you imagine Marimo rat balls?!?!)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:36 PM   #4 
BellasMomma

The pellets r top fin color enhancing Betta bits they r small red and brown pellets. I guess im going to have to learn not to overfeed her, but she really knows how to work it. thanks!!
BellasMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:38 PM   #5 
Laki

I'm SO sorry I mis read and called her a "him"!!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:14 PM   #6 
MistersMom

i learned a new fact today lol

and yes your are over feding, mine just barely eat 4 pellets each time i feed them lol.
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:29 PM   #7 
AngelicScars

Yeah that's A LOT. I feed around 4-5 pellets a day.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 01:56 AM   #8 
bettafish15

No matter what brand, feed no more than 5-6 a day. :)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:32 AM   #9 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish15 View Post
We feed 8 per day here, no issues. There are tiny NLS pellets that are 1/4 of the size of the pellets I feed, a betta would starve on 6 of those a day O_o
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 03:15 AM   #10 
HatsuneMiku

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish15 View Post
the brand and type does matter .. as pellet size varies depending on what brand and food it is .. NLS betta formula pellets is considerably smaller then NLS thera+a formula .. even if they are the same brand .. the pellet sizes are different .. and both of those foods are smaller then hikari bio gold pellets ..

15-20 pellets a day is definitely too much for a normal sized female betta .. unless she is a giant or a king

now that she's used to being fed so much .. her stomach has expanded .. i would recommend to slowly lower the amount (1-2 pellets less each feeding for 2-3 days .. then lower 1-2 pellets again for 2-3 days) .. instead of just suddenly changing reducing her food .. i don't know if females ever tail bite .. but if i changed my boy mystique's feeding schedule .. he stresses out and bites his tail T_T
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote