Betta Fish Forum banner

I feel like a bad betta owner... :C

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  elijahfeathers 
#1 ·
The other week I was unsure if Aden had bitten his tail or gotten stuck on the filter intake. I QT'd him with some salt, fed him some bloodworms, and was seeing some new growth. So I uncupped him.

I come home tonight... there's no doubt in my mind now. He's biting his tail.

I don't know what's wrong. I had him for a while-- he lives in a 5 gallon by himself that's nice and pretty moderately planted. Lately his personality has seemed angrier, if that's possible. He darts around his tank-- if I hold up a finger to it instead of staring or following inquisitively, he flares at me and does a few laps of the tank, then starts to try to attack my finger. He attacks his food more viciously.

He's in a 5 gallon and where he sits he cannot see any other bettas in the room. I'm considering this weekend trying to change his setupt to a NPT (if I take a few plants for my 10 gal I'm pretty certain I'll have enough to accomplish this). I'm wondering if a few snacks/buddies in the tank might help him out... maybe a snail and a handful of ghost shrimp. Something to distract him.

Idk I feel like a bad owner coming home and finding him like this.

See less See more
#4 ·
Awww please don't feel like a bad betta owner, this happens to betta owners all the time, for no rhyme or reason. His tail was soooooo long and flowy, it may have just been weighing him down a little too much, and now that it's gone he has more energy to flair and be feisty!

#5 ·
tail biting isn't something you can control. it's definitely nothing you should feel bad about! all you gotta do, is figure out WHY he's doing it, and see if you can stop it! :)

though, i've given up on making Ichi stop. i just keep his water clean so it doesnt' get infected. lol

#6 ·
i feel like a bad betta owner. My poor guy, the one in my avitar, got Velvet and tail rot when i had him in a 1 gallon with a barely funtional Azoo Palm Filter. I feel like I neglected him. So I bought him a 5 gallon, revived him and its going to get heavily planted.

#7 ·
:c His tail is in much worse shape today.... as I watch him right now he's going in circles trying to bite it. I'm gonna try putting up a mirror for him to flare at for now.

His tail is mostly gone now. :C

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.