Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-12-2011, 02:06 AM   #1 
purplemuffin

What to do with the 1 gallon tank

So, I have this one gallon tank right now, and I don't want it to really go to waste. I have another one that is my QT tank, but this one just sits here.

What would you do with a tank this small? I was thinking shrimp..but I'm not sure. If I got shrimp, I'd want a larger tank because I'd like to have them be able to breed so I can sort of continue their line and all that.

I don't know. Maybe just use it as a fully planted tank? I dunno... Could a pretty little snail do alright in there?

Sort of maybe just leaning towards all plants, but I like having a little animal around. But if it's too small for shrimp/a snail I am happy to just have the plants. They look pretty when all lit up :)
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:11 AM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

I saw someone on a planted forum turn their smaller tank into a habitat for all these micro-organisms. I think they had daphnia, copepods, blackworms, and a snail or two in there.

It looked really good and if the populations were self-sustaining, would provide a live food source for your other fish.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:16 AM   #3 
purplemuffin

Hey, now that's an idea! I'd love to know how to set that up! I already breed my own mealworms for my geckos..why not breed my own fish food? lol!
Old 10-12-2011, 02:46 AM   #4 
LittleBettaFish

I will try and find the link to that thread if I can.

Here's someone that set-up an ecosystem type tank. There is some explanation as to what type of invertebrates they used.

http://www.tuncalik.com/2009/09/biotope-in-my-study/
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:02 AM   #5 
purplemuffin

I'll definitely read this, thanks a ton!
Old 10-12-2011, 06:30 AM   #6 
HatsuneMiku

i would make a marimo ball tank ^_^ with a strong filter .. so they will float and dance all the time
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:43 AM   #7 
Gloria

OMG LittleBettaFish, thats an EXCELLANT idea.. I would love to do this but I do not have a green thumb..
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:18 AM   #8 
gmd1800

I strongly support the idea of a Daphnia tank. I have sixteen colonies of them in the lab and they're thriving... in a 4 ounce cup per colony. They clone themselves, and die off pretty quickly. I've gone a week without feeding them, and I've come back to see tons of young juveniles.
gmd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:06 AM   #9 
purplemuffin

I absolutely would love to have my own fresh supply of food--I'd know I was feeding my fish good, healhy things and I'd know that his food was getting good nutrients so I'd know he was getting good nutrients too! :)

Hatsune Miku, since it is going to be a very planted tank, I'm sure I could even have another marimo ball in there! :) LOL My current one is so big now I forgot they can even be small enough to sit in a 1 gallon and look nice!
Old 10-12-2011, 01:28 PM   #10 
purplemuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
daphnia, copepods, blackworms, and a snail or two in there.
So, are these all nice live foods for bettas? I've never heard of copepods, but I've seen daphnia and blackworms. I'm very excited, this sounds like a fun project. :)

What kind of snail would be nice? I like big snails, but if they poop too much, I would enjoy a little one that is pretty as well! :D