Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-12-2011, 01:15 AM   #1 
Wolfboy51

Question when should i use a heater?????

I'm going to get a Betta fish around Christmas and I'm thinking of getting a heater for it but being in Australia its hot around Christmas and summer so i dont know when i should use it. the temp ranges around 30 degrees during summer.
Wolfboy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:24 AM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

I live in Melbourne and I use heaters year round in my tanks. If you get a heater with a thermostat and not pre-set, it will shut itself off and only come on when the temperature drops.

Personally, I would recommend purchasing a heater even if where you live is generally fairly warm. There's just too much risk of sudden temperature fluctuations happening in such small bodies of water, particularly when things like air conditioners are turned on.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:27 AM   #3 
Wolfboy51

Thanks for the info ill probably buy the heater with the fish:) are the ones which go inside the tank under the gravel good?
Old 10-12-2011, 01:35 AM   #4 
LittleBettaFish

I think they only raise the temperature 5 or so degrees above ambient room temperature. The ones that suction cup onto the side of the tank are best.

I'm not sure on the dimensions of your tank, but an Aqua One 25 watt heater is cheap, reliable and small enough to fit into most aquariums. You can pick them up online and in-store from around 15 bucks.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:36 AM   #5 
Wolfboy51

Old 10-12-2011, 01:37 AM   #6 
Banicks

Hi Wolfboy,

I agree with LBF, those ones switch themselves off once tank water reaches the predetermined temperature.

The undergravel heaters, as far as I know, are the small 5w 'betta bowl' heaters. Non-adjustable and will always heat the water 5 degrees above room temperature. Not the best idea, I am using one myself for my QT tank but that is being monitored heavily with a seperate thermometer to ensure no massive temperature fluctuations.

I am preparing for the summer myself, I will be repositioning my guys into the laundry which remains cool through the summer. As it is easier to heat the tanks, than cool.

EDIT:
Beaten to it by LBF again. I use AquaOne products myself, the 25w is the smallest adjustable heater you will find. You can also pick up a 24L (6g) tank for around $30 from them also. My tip with using them is to position them horizontally for stable temperature.

Where are you located by the way? If you're Sydney area, I strongly suggest Aquaristic. Suggested to me by LBF. Extremely exotic Betta's each in 2g, clean, helpful. You'll be able to pick up everthing you need for under $200. I went with tank, hang on filter, heater, substrate, driftwood with anubias already grown in, water conditioner and the fish.

You can always shop around, but I've been to about 5 or 6 aquariums in Sydney area now and they are by far the best.

PS. I'm pretty sure a 25w heater won't fit into a 1.1g. It's 18cm long, so unless you increase your tank size, you may only be able to go with a 5w unadjustable.

Last edited by Banicks; 10-12-2011 at 01:45 AM.
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:56 AM   #7 
LittleBettaFish

Personally, I wouldn't go below 10 litres for a single betta. Not only is it difficult to find heaters that will fit, but you will need to be consistent with your water changes and really stay on top of your water quality.

I'm not sure what state your in, but in QLD Fishchicks is hands-down the best place for bettas in the whole of Australia. While Mentone, Coburg and Subscape aquariums are probably the best in Melbourne.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:59 AM   #8 
Banicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Personally, I wouldn't go below 10 litres for a single betta. Not only is it difficult to find heaters that will fit, but you will need to be consistent with your water changes and really stay on top of your water quality.

I'm not sure what state your in, but in QLD Fishchicks is hands-down the best place for bettas in the whole of Australia. While Mentone, Coburg and Subscape aquariums are probably the best in Melbourne.
+1 for me.

Tanks are relatively cheap. The bigger the better in my opinion because it allows your Betta to swim around much more freely, and trust me he will form a personality in a larger tank!
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:17 AM   #9 
Wolfboy51

Ty every1. I have found an old glass tank probably a 10litre i think ill get one which does go off automaticly. Ty for the help.