Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-16-2011, 12:25 PM   #21 
Bettas Rule
Banned

first video of the spawn

Here is the video!! I have very high hopes for this spawn, and I am even more excited by the sheer size of the spawn as well. None of them are laying on the bottom so I take that as a good sign that they are in good health. I am feeding egg yolk and I did a tiny bit of BBS just in case some of them are ready to eat them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lRc7tqwT84
Bettas Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:27 PM   #22 
karendawne

Wow you do have a lot of babies! My male ate about half of the eggs, since this was his first spawn, I'm not sure if they were all fertilized or not, but the few I have remaining seem to be really healthy. I have mine growing in a plastic tub also, approx 32 inches long and 18-20 inches wide. It is VERY heavily planted and they always have full tummies.

I have a question though, is that an oak leaf you have in your tank? Is that something that helps in the breeding process? I know I have seen other leaves mentioned, but not any that I could find locally. I'm getting ready to breed again and would like to learn all I can about getting a larger spawn to make it.

THanks,
Karen
karendawne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:32 AM   #23 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by karendawne View Post
Wow you do have a lot of babies! My male ate about half of the eggs, since this was his first spawn, I'm not sure if they were all fertilized or not, but the few I have remaining seem to be really healthy. I have mine growing in a plastic tub also, approx 32 inches long and 18-20 inches wide. It is VERY heavily planted and they always have full tummies.

I have a question though, is that an oak leaf you have in your tank? Is that something that helps in the breeding process? I know I have seen other leaves mentioned, but not any that I could find locally. I'm getting ready to breed again and would like to learn all I can about getting a larger spawn to make it.

THanks,
Karen
Yes it is oak, I read about it online and found out that oak is very close to indian almond leave chemically. Oak leaves release the same beneficial tannins that the Indian almond leaves do, and I have had amazing success with it. Since I started using it in in all my tanks, I have not had any sicknesses come up and thats including this one halfmoon boy that is always coming down with something. I have also noticed that my spawns have gotten larger and the fry seem to be much hardier at a earlier age than when I spawned without it. The fish seem genuinely happier and more energetic too. If you have oak leaves around I highly recommend them. I just wash them before use to ensure cleanliness.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:50 PM   #24 
Bettas Rule
Banned

I added a sponge filter today as well as a bunch of live plants. Hopefully the filter, new plants and BBS will keep them healthy and growing. I sure wish I could take pictures but in the tub it's just not really worth it.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:25 PM   #25 
Gloria

How old are you fry now?
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 02:09 PM   #26 
Bettas Rule
Banned

They are ten days old now. Most of them are pretty big but today while feeding the BBS I saw some very tiny fry that looked like a freshly hatched fry, in fact one of them couldn't even swim yet and was doing the bob around the surface thing. I have always had some smaller fry than others but these guys take the cake for smallest yet.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:20 PM   #27 
Gloria

How cute.. Mine are 5 days old today :)
AWWW.. They sound so cute. Are you still unable to get some pictures?
Glad they are all ok..
The tiny ones will probably be the cutest :) hehe
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:38 PM   #28 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
How cute.. Mine are 5 days old today :)
AWWW.. They sound so cute. Are you still unable to get some pictures?
Glad they are all ok..
The tiny ones will probably be the cutest :) hehe
I can take some aerial photos LOL
Old 10-22-2011, 08:41 PM   #29 
LittleBettas

I watched your video... lmao, one of your babies is a spaz <3 SO cute!
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:33 PM   #30 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettas View Post
I watched your video... lmao, one of your babies is a spaz <3 SO cute!

Yea they are some very spunky fish lol It's the oak leaves