Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-12-2011, 01:46 PM   #1 
bettalover2000

Exclamation Please Help my Princess!

OK, Hi everyone. I had a couple quick questions about my fish and I need answers. My girlie fish has always been active. Today I noticed that she was laying on the bottom of her tank and only really getting up to eat. I don't know why this happened because she has always gotten up before me and been really active, poking around her tank, wiggling to see me, etc.
Is she just sleeping, is she sick, what?

Housing
What size is your tank? 3 gal
What temperature is your tank? 77-78 F
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? air pump, but I don't use it
Is your tank heated?yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?N/A

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?Aqueon pellets
How often do you feed your Betta fish? 4 pellets twice a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? a couple times a week, I don't really have a schedule
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? a few 50%, 1 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Aqueon water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?N/A

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? N/A
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Hanging around the bottom, only coming up for food
When did you start noticing the symptoms? this morning
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I sprinkled in a little AQ salt, to try and perk her up, I don't think its working, I also tried keeping the light on in the room she's in.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? I don't think so
How old is your fish (approximately)? not sure, I've had her like 3 months now

Please answer this with helpful info, I will update later, and I have a few questions about my male, too. Thanks.
bettalover2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:58 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

You didn't dissolve the salt first? If not, you may need to do a water change as un-dissolved salt actually causes more problems. She's probably I'd say... between 8-12 months old (guessing!)

is this all the time, or in the mornings..?
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:26 PM   #3 
Larsa

bettas do tend to sleep and with girls they kinda "glide" slowly at the bottom or stay still near the surface so they can come up for air. If she is awake, she might be stressed out :/ cold water, over-feeding, too frequent water changes, harsh light, and mixing meds in the water with them still in the tank can be stressful on them. Check to see if she is bloated, breathing right, and has smooth healthy scales. See if her fins look great too, no tears or fungus. At least she is eating, right? Lol. I would try feeding her other foods besides pellets. Like daphnia or bloodworms! that cheers up my bettas big time :) She might also be really bored. Give her some betta toys!!! =3
Larsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:34 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Hehe yes betta toys :p do you interact with her at all? I do that with my (friendly) males. Sasuke just likes to chase, since he dislikes me (UGH)... My Spartan likes just about anything :p I make my female Madame jump xD Even rearranging objects kicks in interest
Old 10-12-2011, 03:54 PM   #5 
Myates

It looks as if you are doing everything proper from maintenance to feeding. I would have to say unless she is showing other signs such as clamped fins, loss of coloring, bloating, gasping for air, etc.. then she may just be sleeping.

As Sena mentioned, I would do a 100% water change to take out the salt. AQ salt is for treatment for external issues such as rot, Ich, etc. Over use, or use when not needed/extended period of time has potential to harm their organs, also making bacteria and the fish resistant to any beneficial healing properties the salt has.
If you feel your fish is depressed or being overly lethargic, the best thing to do is either a 100% water change, or a large % water change.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:56 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

^+1