Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-12-2011, 02:42 PM   #1 
Draug Isilme

Changing filters

I know this question has been answered plenty of times and I've come across it just as much.. but I forget >.>;;; How often are you supposed to change your filter? Right now, I have a 5g, which is working it's way to finishing it's cycling process, so I don't plan on messing with it just yet... but after it gets done cycling, is it okay to rinse the filter out if it seems really gunked up (in dechlorinated water, of course ^.^)? Also, I believe it's already been about 2 months since I've had this filter so.... is it about time to change it or should I just wait till it doesn't seem to be working as well er....?
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:47 PM   #2 
TL1000RSquid

cartridge type filter? I'd do a partial water change and clean it up best you can in the old tank water. Keep using it until its completely shot. Not a fan of cartridge type filters because when you do need to replace them they kick off a mini cycle.
TL1000RSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:07 PM   #3 
Draug Isilme

Ah, mm-kay, thank you ^.^ *shrugs* The filter came with the tank, but I didn't know they could do that to cycles after changing them. Makes sense... Ah well, I'll just have to deal until I'm able to get a new filter that's more efficient.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:13 PM   #4 
Micho

Get a piece of your old filter media and shove it in there with the new filter, that's what I did when I switched from Tetra Whisper 10i to AquaClear 20. The old filter media also kinda baffled it, so that's a plus. :D This will help you not crash your cycle once you are cycled.

Changing filters you can do it anytime, I changed my filter because I wanted more filtration capacity.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:38 PM   #5 
Draug Isilme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micho View Post
Get a piece of your old filter media and shove it in there with the new filter, that's what I did when I switched from Tetra Whisper 10i to AquaClear 20. The old filter media also kinda baffled it, so that's a plus. :D This will help you not crash your cycle once you are cycled.

Changing filters you can do it anytime, I changed my filter because I wanted more filtration capacity.
That's a great bit of advice ^.^ I believe I have a Tetra Whisper PF10, so they probably have a similar build >.> I was wondering if I could do something like that, but I wasn't absolutely sure. When I ever do change the filter, should I just cut off a good chunk of the white, foamy-like stuff and put it in behind the new filter er...?
Old 10-12-2011, 06:30 PM   #6 
Micho

Yeah just take old filter media, and put it anywhere on the filter, make sure it's submerged in water or there's water running over it. That'll colonize beneficial bacteria quicker in your new filter.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:14 PM   #7 
Draug Isilme

Thanks alot, Micho =^.^= This bit of info will really go a long way for me