Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-12-2011, 07:40 PM   #1 
AlyssaI

Exclamation Help please!!!!

My betta, Dragon, is just floating at the top of the tank and doesn't move unless you tap the glass, and his fins seem to be clamped. If i didn't tap the tank I would think he was dead!!! He sits like that for hours and just literally floats. sometimes at the top & sometimes just laying on the bottom. The bottoms of his fins are stuck together. This is my replacement fish to my other one, Shadow, who was doing the same thing and then died. & i don't think I can do that again! Please help.

Housing
What size is your tank? About 2 gallons
What temperature is your tank? I don't know...
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no!?
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta ColorBright Flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? Every day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every couple of days, sometimes 100%, and sometimes 50% depending on what the water looks like.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? I add AquaPure Bowl Prep

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: N/A
Nitrite:N/A
Nitrate: N/A
pH: N/A
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Yes, his fins are stuck together and his eyes seem to be dotted red, just like the color of him.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? A couple of days ago. I've only had him for like 2 weeks!
When did you start noticing the symptoms? A couple days after I got him.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Not yet.
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
AlyssaI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:35 PM   #2 
Myates

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about your little guy..

It could be a number of reasons, so I will go ahead and say what adjustments that could be made and what to do to try to help this fella out..

For a 2 gallon unfiltered tank you will want to do 1 50% water change and 1 100% water change per week. I wouldn't do any more then that as water can be too clean. (I can go into detail if you wish.) Any less then you will be risking a high ammonia/nitrate/ite reading which is harmful.
When doing your last water change (or the one right before the symptoms showed) how did you acclimate him to the water? It's idea to float the cup in the tank for 20-30 mins, taking out some water from the cup and adding in some tank water ever so often so he will acclimate to both the temp and the chemistry of the water. You will always want to dose the tank for the full amount for that tank regardless of the % of water you removed/replaced.
Flakes are notorious for fouling up tanks, so I would recommend also feeding pellets, 4-6 medium sized pellets spread throughout the day in 2-3 feedings is highly recommended. As well as feed 2-3 times a day with flakes, removing any uneaten.

It sounds as if he is clamping his fins and they do that when stressed, or something isn't just right with the water chemistry, or when they are cold..

Which leads to you should get a thermometer to be able to know the temp of the tank. Bettas are tropical fish and require 78-82*F, with winter coming (assuming you live in the northern hemisphere) then you will want to look into a mini heater for him.

Without seeing him, I would have to guess it's due to improper acclimation to water change (sometimes they handle it very well, but never know when just once, they won't), or temp or not enough water conditioner after doing a partial change.

If he has any other symptoms of being ill, such as white spots on his body, changing colors, fin edges going black with fraying/shredding/crusting, bloated, etc, let us know. This could be an onset to something else.

For now I would do a 100% water change, acclimate him to both temp & chemistry, use a full dose of conditioner and see if that helps.

I'm sorry.. I want to do more, but just unsure what else there is at this moment without any other symptoms.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 03:59 PM   #3 
tf1265

What else is in the tank with him in terms of decor? Over and over again I see new betta owners freak out because their fish are freaked out because they have no where to hide - I did it at first too, thought the plants were literally just to make the tank look nicer to me. Bettas are hiders! Make sure he has PLENTY of hiding places. Not just a cave and a tiny plant, but dark full leaves to swim between as well as something at the bottom to hide in/swim through.
tf1265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 04:08 PM   #4 
Leeniex

I like to drape a towel over the top for the first couple of weeks until they get more comfortable.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clamped fins, emergency, floating at the top, lying at the bottom