Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-12-2011, 05:28 PM   #1 
coet

Betta fish is very, very, VERY lethargic :(

My betta, Errie, lives in a divided 10gallon set up (divided three ways) with another betta, Snowy, a swordtail, a neon tetra, and a couple of fry that are being put into another tank in December.

Since Friday he has literally been laying around the tank -- laying on his pirate ship, in his barrels, on his betta hammock, on his moss ball -- you name it, he's laid on it at this point. The ammonia was high, so I did an emergency 50% water change and treated the entire 10 gallons worth of water with Prime, which got my ammonia (nitrites and nitrates were not high, but they are 0 now) to 0.25 ppm. It's still too high, but now I have to treat the tank of ich (showed up today on Errie and the neon tetra) also so I can't do another 25% tomorrow to get rid of that last bit like I wanted to. I'm using the API ich treatment to treat the ich, and I upped the tank temperature to 82 degrees (formally 78 degrees) because it will expedite the treatment of ich.

I don't know what is wrong with Errie though. He had no swim bladder issues. He has no fin problems. This happened so suddenly and he is the only one acting sick. He's normally energetic and swimming around his part of the tank. He's such an active, happy betta and loves to "play" in his ornaments (not flashing -- like rubbing against them -- he just likes to swim in and out of them). He also hasn't eaten since Saturday. I got him to eat two pellets Friday. Does anyone know what could be wrong with him?
coet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:03 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Well, if the tank has ich chances are he is stressed out.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:43 PM   #3 
coet

Yea, I was hoping someone knew why he was stressed out.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:20 PM   #4 
Myates

Ich causes lethargy, why he is stressed out is because of the Ich.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:59 PM   #5 
coet

I don't understand. He's been lethargic since Friday. The ich just showed up today.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:24 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

Ich doesn't show on fish immediately. The white spots you see are not ich... it's the betta's defense against the annoying parasite. Ich in my tank appeared a week after I got a new fish - sometimes it just takes a certain amount of time.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:40 PM   #7 
bahamut285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Ich doesn't show on fish immediately. The white spots you see are not ich... it's the betta's defense against the annoying parasite. Ich in my tank appeared a week after I got a new fish - sometimes it just takes a certain amount of time.
Just for educational purposes, ich is an ectoparasite with 3 stages of life. The first stage is the feeding stage, which are the white spots you see on your fish (So YES, IT IS ICH). The second stage is when they drop off your fish's skin and breed in your water. The final stage is when they are free-swimming at attack your fish all over again.

However, sub-clinically infected fish should technically not be showing symptoms. Considering you mentioned previously that your ammonia was high, that may have been the cause. I would ramp up the temperature as high as you can safely get it (I managed to get 86F with no issues) to accelerate the life-cycle of ich so the medication can kill them in their free-swimming stage.

After the treatment is over, keep an eye on his behaviour. If he is still the same then he is probably stressed for other reasons...

I hope he gets well soon

Last edited by bahamut285; 10-12-2011 at 10:44 PM.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:49 PM   #8 
cajunamy
Banned

I would also point fingers at the ammonia.

And a betta's defense is it's slime coat, which you really can't see unless it's so overactive there is a slime on the surface of the water. White spots are ich.
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:37 AM   #9 
tsoto80

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post
Just for educational purposes, ich is an ectoparasite with 3 stages of life. The first stage is the feeding stage, which are the white spots you see on your fish (So YES, IT IS ICH). The second stage is when they drop off your fish's skin and breed in your water. The final stage is when they are free-swimming at attack your fish all over again.

However, sub-clinically infected fish should technically not be showing symptoms. Considering you mentioned previously that your ammonia was high, that may have been the cause. I would ramp up the temperature as high as you can safely get it (I managed to get 86F with no issues) to accelerate the life-cycle of ich so the medication can kill them in their free-swimming stage.

After the treatment is over, keep an eye on his behaviour. If he is still the same then he is probably stressed for other reasons...

I hope he gets well soon
I love nerds!
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:40 PM   #10 
coet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post

I hope he gets well soon
Thank you so much. That was very helpful. The temperature is at 82 now, I'll raise it a little more. He's not doing any better and he seems to be on a gradual decline. Today he's not swimming at all.

I'll keep everyone posted. Thanks for all of your help.

Edit; I did get him to eat one pellet last night, which made me feel better.