Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? 2 types of betta dry pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? once/twice daily

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 30% 1x/2x per week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 30%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: check in couple hours, was 0 last week
Nitrite: check in couple hours, was 0 last week
Nitrate: check in couple hours, was 20ppm before h20 change
pH: 7.4-ish
Hardness: don't know
Alkalinity: don't know

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? little white spot on mouth
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? none
When did you start noticing the symptoms? today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? got Bud 2 months ago
Name:  BUD!!!!!!!!!!.jpg
Views: 1213
Size:  58.0 KB
input nirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:30 PM   #2 
flowerslegacy

I'm sure you'll be asked this question: Does it appear fuzzy or smooth? You stated in your other thread that he had a couple of white scales a few weeks ago but they went away after 3-5 days. Did those scales look the same as what you see on his mouth?? Did he possibly have a few missing scales when you got him? When scales grow back they can appear whitish or grayish. Just curious. I want to make sure we rule out all possibilities while diagnosing!!
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:52 PM   #3 
Myates

Not Bud!

Yes, we will need to know whether or not it looks cottony to validate the suspicion.
It does look like it though, so I will go ahead and give you the treatment for that so you can be ready once you see whether or not it looks cottony.

Mouth Fungus is called it because it looks like a fungus attack of the mouth. It is actually caused from the bacterium Chondrococcus columnaris. It shows up first as a gray or white line around the lips and later as short tufts sprouting from the mouth like fungus. The toxins produced and the inability to eat will be fatal unless treated at an early stage. Hard to treat, but not impossible. Like any disease best caught early.

You will want to Qt him in a smaller container - either a gallon bowl, or even a tupperware container where you can float/tape it inside his tank to keep him warm. I'd lower the heater down to 76-78.
Maracyn simultaneously with Maracyn II is the type of medicine most recommended. You can try the conservative route with AQ salt, but I think it would be best to use the medicine since you want to get rid of it quickly so it won't hamper his eating.
I believe if I recall, it's 1 packet per 10 gallons for Maracyn, and 2 packets per 10 gallon for Maracyn 2.
It should say how much % water change you will need to do, so I would follow that. You may be able to do it in his home tank provided you don't have any live plants. Live plants and most medicine don't do well together. If you go the QT route, then make sure you do a good cleaning job on his tank, do 50% water change every day for a few days, while siphoning his gravel.

I think that should cover it.. unless someone knows of another way to treat, or knows what else it could be. Good luck and keep us updated on how he is doing.

If it is not "cottony" but flush to his face.. then he may of rubbed it and injured it on something. So look carefully =)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:56 PM   #4 
Myates

Now that I am thinking about it.. would be hard to accurately dispense the meds in a smaller container.. so probably be best to do in his tank, if you have live plants you can possibly put them in another container to wait out the medication. Make sure you do a few water changes when you are done with the medicine and prior to adding in the plants. I believe Maracyn will also cause the water to turn blue, so you can use that to help judge how long to do the water changes.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:05 PM   #5 
input nirvana

Will check his mouth. I was using a magnifying glass bur wasn't sure. Will check again this evening and decide what to do. He is eating fine so far.

:( :(. :(

I'm unhappy
input nirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:12 PM   #6 
flowerslegacy

Input, here's what I just had to do with a new sick betta. I bought a 2.5 gal and put my 50W in there - just adjust it down to about 76 to keep it at a constant 80. I floated my Betta Log in there too. Anyway, with the Maracyn II, it normally calls for dosages for a 10 gal tank ie. 1 packet per 10 gal. For a 2.5 here's what you do: Get a 5c jug. For day one, fill it with 5c. dechlorinated water and start with 2 packets. Stir it up. Add 2 1/2c of that medicated water to his 2.5gal. Throw out the rest. The next day do a 100% water change. Fill up another 5c jug with dechlorinated water and use 1 packet. Stir it up and add 2 1/2c of that to his 2.5gal. Keep the remainder for the next day. You'll want to repeat the 100% water changes and 1 packet, 2 1/2c dosage for the remaining 2 to 5 day treatment. Do not mix it with AQ salt. You can't mix meds with AQ. I'm not sure if it's best to use Maracyn or Maracyn II for Columnaris. You can google it, or I'm sure someone else might know. Sakura8 has directed me with all the info I just gave you so hopefully she'll see your thread and step in! I gave you the dosages for Maracyn II. As Myates stated, the dosage for Maracyn is a little different. At least you have a process on how to dose for a small QT. We'll stay posted!
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:13 PM   #7 
Myates

Awww.. I can imagine. Not the studdly Bud =(

Once you can tell for certain if it is cottony, then you at least know what direction to go in. If it's not cottony, then we will do something different.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:15 PM   #8 
Myates

For cotton mouth, a lot will recommend Maracyn 1 and 2 at the same time. But, I could be wrong. I'll msg Super Fish Girl and see if she is around tonight and see if she can help a little more.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:31 PM   #9 
Sakura8

I'm blushing here. You guys are too kind. :}

So hi input nirvana, I hear Bud is in a bit of trouble. Poor guy. So far, it sounds like he's still able to eat, so that's good news. Has the white spot spread at all? In the pic, it does look a little fuzzy to me but definitely check and let us know for sure. With a spot like that on his mouth, I'm thinking that it is either mouth rot/columnaris or the beginnings of lymphocystis. If the white spot isn't fuzzy, I would lean towards lymphocystis. But for now, let's continue treating it like it's columnaris.

There are two ways to do this, conservative and aggressive. If you want to treat conservative, you would put the big guy in a QT tank with 3 tsps of aquarium salt and lower the heat to 76 degrees. Daily water changes, redose the salt for 14 days maximum. If the spot hasn't spread or grown, I would probably recommend starting with this just because meds can be stressful.

Aggressive treatment has already been spelled out by the lovely ladies before me. Maracyn I and Maracyn II combined. Again, a QT tank is probably best. Definitely get a few 1 gallon jugs, like the type spring water comes in. I need to double check the dosage on Maracyn I and then I'll post back about that.

In the meantime, I hope the big guy continues to do well. He has a really lovely dark coloring, a handsome guy.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:40 PM   #10 
Myates

Thanks Sakura, you're a doll! Now I can go finish my McDonald's salad and not feel guilty knowing he's in good hands =)

I couldn't remember exactly the conservative treatment. This was the first time I went immediately to the meds. Glad you can help him!