Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-12-2011, 10:24 PM   #11 
input nirvana

I am using a pair of glasses that magnify objects slightly and a 3x magnifying glass. Buds lip looks like it has a slight divot, or indentation. I don't think it's fuzzy. If it is fuzzy at all, it may only be under his lip, but I'm still trying to see that in the light. If it is cotton mouth, would his lip be white without fuzz?
input nirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:30 PM   #12 
input nirvana

Somehow, I was able to see his lip with a 6x magnifying glass several times for several seconds each time. Bud is very active, he doesn't just sit there.

His lip has an indentation, like a tiny "v" cut into it. I'm pretty certain it's not fuzzy, but there is a single, tiny thread coming from the edge of the "v" it seems. This area with the 'v' and the tiny hair-like thread is almost white. It seems like it could be a piece of fish-flesh. There is an edge to the aquarium that he has hit in his excitement to get food since I hand feed him each pellet. It seems to be able to cause a wound that would be a "v" on his lip.

Maybe wait till morning and determine then?

Last edited by input nirvana; 10-12-2011 at 10:33 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:29 PM   #13 
flowerslegacy

I hope it's an injury!! It sounds like it could be. My crazy VT female jumps all the time when I feed. We call her our African Jumping Shark, so I know what you're talking about. Keep an eye on him and let us know. You have great doctor ladies to direct you on any method you need. We fall madly in love with our silly bettas and freak out if something goes wrong. Welcome to the ranks!
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:48 PM   #14 
input nirvana

I can't let anything happen to Bud, I'll keep an eye on him first thing am. It would definitely be fuzzy by then? I will be totally free to get/do whatever he needs.

I'm able to grab more close up glances. There definitely appears to be a divot in his lower side lip. There is that tiny 'string' which I guess could look like cotton? Cotton isn't really fuzzy, it's stringy...

It's now 10pm here, I will have to inspect him in the am, and go to pet store as soon as they open. I assume his 'condition' may be more apparent in another 10-12 hours.

Thank you for your help, Bud is relying on me being able to do what he needs. He doesn't have a drivers license (yet) and he obviously can't use an electronic telephone.

Top pic-you can see divot
Botton pic-is it starting to look like cotton? There is one tiny thread...

Name:  Buds lip divot.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  30.7 KB

Name:  Buds mouth.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  32.3 KB

Took 20 mins to get those pics, all the rest are unusable, he moves almost constantly.

Last edited by input nirvana; 10-13-2011 at 12:07 AM.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:18 AM   #15 
Sakura8

input nirvana, you're doing a good job getting close looks considering Bud is still very active. It's hard to get a look at them when they don't want to stay still. >.< Okay, based on what you're saying there's a strong possibility he injured his lip on the aquarium rim. That would explain the divot part. But columnaris can sneak is a secondary infection, which is what may be happening now.

My suggestion is you try the AQ salt first, 3 tsps per gallon and lower the heat to 76 degrees. If, after several days of treatment, the white part hasn't gone away or has spread, we can try the medicines. You can pick them up to have on hand if you'd like. Maracyn I and Maracyn II. Oh, also Stress Coat. API Stress Coat will help too.

Let me know if this plan agrees with you. I'll be checking back in early tomorrow morning. Don't worry, we'll get this licked in no time. Hang in there, input and Bud!

Oh, and if you are able, any more pics of the stringy stuff would help. But don't worry if you can't, I totally understand. You've done a great job with the photos so far.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:06 AM   #16 
Myates

Bud is still a stud!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:45 AM   #17 
flowerslegacy

Hi Input, I know you have a lot of live plants. Go get a little 2.5gal and an adjustable heater and set him up for QT. The daily water changes will be simple because you can just cup him and then dump the water. I put a log in my QT's to give him something to do as well as allow him somewhere to "go". Especially if your little guy is so active. Even if he doesn't really hide now, a log will give him his own bedroom, so to speak. Especially in such a small space. You'll be happy for the little QT tank!
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:01 PM   #18 
input nirvana

Bud is overall looking great. Active, eating, jumping out of the water, and made one of his larger bubble nests overnight.

His lip does not have the white string and is 80% less white than last night. The divot seems to be about 40% of his lower lip. I'm trying to get close looks but he is more active this morning...I'll try in an hour once he has burned off some energy. The major white you see in the pic I posted is not there, but the lip is a little light.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:43 PM   #19 
input nirvana

Getting better looks at Buds lip, it's a sizable wound, especially from a lower view, it appears a part of his lip is gone! (see pic). I would think if it was cotton mouth or something similar that it would look progressively worse? I put him in his travel cup so I can get an even closer look at him, and it looks like a wound. Doesn't like the cup AT ALL. But there's NO white. I'll put him back home and use aquarium salt to help prevent infections/disease. If I see something that freaks me out in a day or so, I'll get the meds.

I have a couple Amazon Swords and a Moss Ball in the tank. Do I remove the living plants?

Last edited by input nirvana; 10-13-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:56 PM   #20 
Myates

Good to hear it's a wound that you can easily care for..

Yes, remove any living plants before adding in any AQ salt. But remember you will have to do daily 100% water changes when using AQ salt.. so whether he likes it or not, it may be best to put him in a smaller container. The reason behind daily water changes is to prevent salt build up, as well as clean water is the best medicine when a fish is sick/hurt. Even a plastic 1gal "goldfish bowl" or a tupperware container.. You can put in a cave or cup, fake plant, something so it's not so empty while he's in there to help him relax a little. He'll freak out and be grumpy for a bit.. but you need to do what you need to do and he'll thank you in the end =)

Do as Sakura mentioned, the 3tsp of AQ salt and some stress coat. You probably don't have to do the full 10 days, but I'd wait to double check with Sakura. You may just have to do it for a few days to make sure it doesn't get infected.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote