Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-12-2011, 09:07 PM   #21 
noahk11

@Okami ive been told by some people that guppies are good but NOT ones with "flashy" tales that may cause a betta to think it is another betta and fight. And ill let you guys know how the cloth works out.
noahk11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:09 PM   #22 
Micho

Dwarf cories, or any relatively small sized cories, small shoal of otos. Maybe some african dwarf frogs, you could do some snails, shrimps (if they get cover).

The bigger the tank the more choices you have when it comes to tankmates.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:11 PM   #23 
Okami

I know about guppies. What about Danios (glo fish), and Khuli Loaches? I want to keep my Betta's tank (when its bigger) with species found in a Blackwater pool
Okami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:16 PM   #24 
Micho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
I know about guppies. What about Danios (glo fish), and Khuli Loaches? I want to keep my Betta's tank (when its bigger) with species found in a Blackwater pool
Well generally speaking 10g do not have the base footprint that is recommended for kuhli loaches, so no. Glofish is no also, they like to be in shoals of 8 - 10, each fish gets to about 2" long, so you'd pretty much fully stocked if you add eight Glofish in. Glofish are genitically mutated Zebra Danios, you could try 8 Glofish and one Betta and you're fully stocked (100%).

You can do it though, I would recommend lots of live plants to help with ammonia and a good filter (probably double your tank size, a filter for a 20g tank).
Old 10-12-2011, 09:20 PM   #25 
Okami

so when and if i upgrade my blackwater pool tank ill probably go with a 20 gallon long
Old 10-12-2011, 09:21 PM   #26 
hedgehog

Cory catfish work in a ten gallon either 6 pygmys or 4 of a larger species. You can't keep less than 4 cories in a tank though.
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:22 PM   #27 
Okami

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
Cory catfish work in a ten gallon either 6 pygmys or 4 of a larger species. You can't keep less than 4 cories in a tank though.
I know about corys :) I have 8 in my 50 gallon Amazon tank
Old 10-12-2011, 09:26 PM   #28 
Micho

If it's 20 gallon long, you can do a variety of fish, for bottom dwellers; kuhli loaches, cories, otos, etc. Middle; almost any type of tetra, platies, guppies (no flashy/long tails type), mollies, etc. Top; Your betta.

You could also start a sorority with your 20g if you prefer that over a community tank.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:33 PM   #29 
Okami

ide perfer a community, from my research species found in the wild with Bettas are Roseboras, Loaches, Sharks like Bala Sharks but im not getting those with a Betta X.X and Groramis again not sticking those with a betta either lol
Old 10-12-2011, 09:40 PM   #30 
Micho

Haha bala sharks are generally not good community fishes, gouramis they're not ideal either. . .

You have a huge variety for a 20g tank, doesn't have to be just a blackwater tank.

Tags
betta, compatible, female, guppys, other fish