Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-12-2011, 09:19 PM   #1 
Fieldz

Wink Making your betta flare is NOT FINE!

Please, do not put the mirror to your betta again, ever. When bettas flare they get so stressed as they think they are going to fight, even though that wont happen. The first and LAST time I tried to make my betta flare he woke up the next morning with a inflamed fin because of tail biting. I will never do that again.

Making your betta flare on purpose isn`t healthy for him.

If you like your bettas and want to give them the best, dont make them flare, ever. He wont be ugly if he doesnt flares, neither more beautiful if he does, believe me.

Thank you so much for reading this post. Follow my advice and dont make your bettas flare. If you want me to prove you flaring isnt good, go to any petshop where bettas stay in separated jails ( thats what I call those cups ) beside each other flaring and then come talk to me.
Fieldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:00 PM   #2 
Laki

Erm...Disagree. Clamped fins is a more tell tale sign of distress. Betta generally, when kept in fair conditions, swim around with tail always flared.. Not to extremes mind you, but it shows their health. I um.. Have never seen Lakitu's fins clamped or lame. I guess I'm not "caring" for him? I think you're opinion is fair but a little exaggerated.

Many people show a mirror as a way to stimulate and fire up their betta for like.. 2 minutes a day. But there are other ways to stimulate your fish, since living in the "jails" without stimulation would be just as bad. Teaching betta to jump out of water a bit for food, lettting them chase live food, dangling frozen bloodworms around on a small stick for them to hunt down, playing with a small syringe to blow tiny bubbles, simply looking at your betta. ALL of these activities will result in a happy healthy betta to flare up his fins.
So.. If you don't like nor appreciate the beauty of these glorious fish then don't keep them as hobby?
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:06 PM   #3 
PewPewPew

Fact:

Having one bad personal experience with one fish one time is not grounds for assuming and making a post that doing something is automatically incorrect or wrong.

This post is incorrect.

You may have a neurotic betta, or he may be stressed out from tank negligence, etc.. Who knows?

Fact is, that's probably not what caused it, and if it did, its a fluke occurrence.

Again, dont assume things because of a single bad experience. It is fine to have a betta flare on occasion. Its natural. Doing it too often may prove stressful and could result in a blown fin, but again, this is doing it often.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:17 PM   #4 
TheCrysCat

^+1

i've *never* had complications due to flaring, and I've been keeping bettas for almost a year now. Doing it too much would stress them out, though.
TheCrysCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:18 PM   #5 
newarkhiphop

newarkhiphop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:26 PM   #6 
Banicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
Fact:

Having one bad personal experience with one fish one time is not grounds for assuming and making a post that doing something is automatically incorrect or wrong.

This post is incorrect.

You may have a neurotic betta, or he may be stressed out from tank negligence, etc.. Who knows?

Fact is, that's probably not what caused it, and if it did, its a fluke occurrence.

Again, dont assume things because of a single bad experience. It is fine to have a betta flare on occasion. Its natural. Doing it too often may prove stressful and could result in a blown fin, but again, this is doing it often.
+1

Hi Fieldz,

My boys flare as part of their exercise, only for a minute a day. Sometimes not at all, my VT will flare up at my finger, other times he will follow it around playfully.

My HM is scared of his own shadow, and will flare then run away into his plants then come back again, I attribute this to his young age. I actually didn't flare him for about a week recently. He had ended up tail biting - so I could by your assumptions say not flaring causes tail biting!

Many things are in play with our Betta's, and to say something that is part of their nature is what is solely causing a problem, is a very unfounded assumption.
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:31 PM   #7 
Sena Hansler

I make sure my bettas flare occasionally. This then can show me the crevices in their fins (like Sasuke's hidden fin rot - he's a rescue), plus see any tears and determine what they would be from. My Crayola is a diva and flares a lot on his own. Maine is silly and flares at a speck on the side of the tank. Yes, some bettas have gotten hurt from flaring overly too much - it's been said around here. But, it is not dangerous. I do understand if there were mirrors surrounding his tank - that would be annoying and stressful.

But like Banicks said, it's a part of their nature - it's instinct. One betta I have I won't make flare, because side of his face IS severely damaged and torn (another rescue), and to me it seems like it would be hurting him...

edit: if flaring is bad, all males that were bred would be dead or destroyed... which means the entire breed would be extinct.. just saying :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:32 PM   #8 
betaguy

betaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:37 PM   #9 
Dragonlady

Sorry, I have to disagree. It is a good idea to time flaring activity. Start with a minute or two until they gain stamina. It is not very healthy for a sedentary person to run a marathon either , but whatever.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:24 AM   #10 
Aluyasha

I also disagree with the OP. Flaring in itself does not cause issues unless done constantly.
It also depends on the Betta's personality. I have had many Bettas and only one was a tail biter, and he was fine with his reflection and looking at other Bettas. He had two tail biting triggers, My other Betta Melvin and when I moved his tank. As long as he did not see Melvin and his tank stayed in one spot he was fine.
So yes, it is possible to have a bad experince with flaring Bettas, but one time or one Betta is not enough to judge it wrong. And it is wrong to make it out to be that people who let their Bettas flare do not care about their fish.
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote