Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-13-2011, 01:27 PM   #21 
Fieldz

Its a 5 gallon with silk plants, gravel and everything. Even a house.
Fieldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:29 PM   #22 
indjo
TFK Moderator

That's what they do.... it's perfectly natural. It's good exercise for them. Imagine yourself not moving much, never exercising, just do nothing ...... it's not healthy.

If your guy is a tail bitter, I'd suggest not to flare him - not until much later. Flaring will make him tail bite.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:29 PM   #23 
TheCrysCat

Well, maybe he doesn't like it, then. That's fine; they all have their own personalities. But you shouldn't go on here saying that it's bad for every single fish, because it's not.
TheCrysCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:29 PM   #24 
Luimeril

flaring is very healthy for them. as i stated, it improves blood flow to their fins, and DOES brighten them up. the betta in my avatar is a good example of how it helps them color up. he was dull grey, pretty ugly. then, i started showing him, himself in a CD(the mirror side), and he'd flare and dart about, showing off. he builds HUGE bubble nests now, and is almost black with blue shine to him.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:31 PM   #25 
Sena Hansler

Yeah my Voldemort does what you say Fieldz... the panicked heavy breathing. So he's definitely a loner-non-flare betta :) although he flares at random things anyways >< I know my one betta looks like he strains himself to flare, while another looks mostly frisky and happy flaring >< So yes, depends on the betta, and amount of flaring... :)

Luimeril +1 :p
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:33 PM   #26 
Luimeril

bettas dart around when they flare. they swim away, then come back. they're trying to scare the other betta away. the heavy breathing is just their reaction to exercise. don't YOU breath heavy after a hard work out?
Old 10-13-2011, 01:34 PM   #27 
Sena Hansler

lol. I think my Voldemort is just anewbie though xD all my other bettas have the deep slow breathing methods, and wiggling showing off...aaand he has the hard fast breathing like OH MY GOSH feeling xDD
Old 10-13-2011, 01:40 PM   #28 
Luimeril

Cup used to be like that. frantic darting about. he'd even ram the side of the tank if it was another betta and not his reflection. it's all just how much they show off. some flare a little, some flare alot. some just wiggle, some go crazy. it's all in their personalities.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:42 PM   #29 
Sena Hansler

haha yeah x.x Spartan does the ramming... he's divided in a 10 gallon with plants and stuff with Voldemort. I was surprised because Voldemort can't even make it sway even an itty bitty bit since it is well... half buried lol. And then guess Spartan turned around, slammed into it and shook it LOL. Voldemort isn't as much of a butt :)
Old 10-13-2011, 02:49 PM   #30 
MrVampire181

I had a discussion with Linda Olson about this. personally I've never card my fish and Linda was telling me by visually seperating them you cut off their social interaction. believe it or not bettas are very social. bettas often become "depressed" when removed from their siblings or fry. bettas use body language as a way of communicating.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote