Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-17-2011, 10:02 AM   #11 
Nubster
Member
 
Nubster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Romney, WV
Get one of those little pill boxes that have the days on it and fill them with a pre-determined amount of food. That takes all the thinking out of it. Pop the lid and dump the food. Water changes...that's another issue. I'd get a small sponge filter and get the tank cycled. That way by Christmas if will be good to go and you might be able to get away with not doing a water change in those 3 weeks. Might be pushing it...if you could find someone that could do at least one or two for you then it would be good. Maybe get some plants...even something like Hornwort will really help soak up nitrates in the water prolonging the time between water changes.
Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:10 PM   #12 
Okami
New Member
 
Okami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Massachusetts
you could start the process with natural chemicals like cycle. But that stuff is pricey
Okami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:33 PM   #13 
Miyazawa
Member
 
Miyazawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
you could start the process with natural chemicals like cycle. But that stuff is pricey
i would but i was told that a 2.5 gallons tank can't not cycle
Miyazawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:37 PM   #14 
Rachel Keithley
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Calhoun, Georgia
betta fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyazawa View Post
im just wondering if anyone wanna talk about betta fish o.o i just started this hobby like 3 weeks ago and now im addicted......i think about betta fish, talk about betta fish, look at betta fish at petco every other day, stalking other betta fish owner...........
im 13 and i have a male blue fish thts named swimmy. and u have 2 admit im kinda lazy but i've taken good care of him. im hopping 2 get a female fish (prefer a red 1) so they can start a family.us any 1 know were incan get the girl @?
Rachel Keithley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:59 PM   #15 
Miyazawa
Member
 
Miyazawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Keithley View Post
im 13 and i have a male blue fish thts named swimmy. and u have 2 admit im kinda lazy but i've taken good care of him. im hopping 2 get a female fish (prefer a red 1) so they can start a family.us any 1 know were incan get the girl @?
breeding takes a lot of money and time.....did you do your research?
Miyazawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:41 PM   #16 
Bombalurina
Member
 
Bombalurina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Keithley View Post
im 13 and i have a male blue fish thts named swimmy. and u have 2 admit im kinda lazy but i've taken good care of him. im hopping 2 get a female fish (prefer a red 1) so they can start a family.us any 1 know were incan get the girl @?
If you are kind of lazy, breeding is not for you. After a certain age, all the male fry will need seperate tanks or bowls that you have to heat, filter and clean. You can get up to 100 fry in your first batch, too - would your parents be ok with:
- tanks for each of the parents
- a breeding tank
- grow-out tanks
- a sorority tank for all the female fry
- separate tanks for all the male fry
- micro cultures all over the place?

If you do want to get some experience breeding fish, get a 10 gallon and stock it with one male and 3 female guppies. You'll have fish babies coming out of your ears (but not literally).
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:45 PM   #17 
Nubster
Member
 
Nubster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Romney, WV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyazawa View Post
i would but i was told that a 2.5 gallons tank can't not cycle
If you have media for bacteria to grow on and food to feed them, I can't imagine any reason why a 2.5g tank couldn't be cycled. There shouldn't be any difference between that and a tank of any other size.
Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:01 PM   #18 
Miyazawa
Member
 
Miyazawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
If you have media for bacteria to grow on and food to feed them, I can't imagine any reason why a 2.5g tank couldn't be cycled. There shouldn't be any difference between that and a tank of any other size.
really?! i was told that it is unstable and 5 gallons is the minimum for cycling
Miyazawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:40 PM   #19 
purplemuffin
Member
 
purplemuffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Central Texas
I've heard the same. Well. Technically I've heard you can cycle a smaller tank, but not reliably. It's too small so it would be prone to mini cycles and ammonia spikes.
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:28 PM   #20 
dramaqueen
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Central Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
If you are kind of lazy, breeding is not for you. After a certain age, all the male fry will need seperate tanks or bowls that you have to heat, filter and clean. You can get up to 100 fry in your first batch, too - would your parents be ok with:
- tanks for each of the parents
- a breeding tank
- grow-out tanks
- a sorority tank for all the female fry
- separate tanks for all the male fry
- micro cultures all over the place?

If you do want to get some experience breeding fish, get a 10 gallon and stock it with one male and 3 female guppies. You'll have fish babies coming out of your ears (but not literally).
I agree. Breeding bettas is a lot of responsibility and work and if you don't like doing water changes then breeding is not for you. You can't skip a cleaning here and a feeding there or you'll end up with sick or dead fry.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Betta talk tumtum Betta Chat 6 02-02-2014 11:24 AM
you all should talk me out of getting another betta... ManInBlack2010 Betta Chat 15 09-18-2011 07:58 PM
Betta Macrostoma- "@ Talk Lounge" BettaBoy84 Breeding Betta Fish 0 09-05-2011 08:48 PM
How do I talk my mom into letting me get another Betta? wildmagic713 Betta Chat 17 12-21-2010 03:33 PM
Instant BBS monroe0704 Breeding Betta Fish 3 12-21-2010 02:17 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.